*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/535272
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #1310876
A Blog by an Author, for Authors about the Writing and Publishing fields.
#535272 added September 15, 2007 at 6:47am
Restrictions: None
Weekend Book Review
This week's book review is about The First King of Shannara, by Terry Brooks
 
         Jerle Shannara, the Kingship of the Elves thrust upon him after the tragic destruction of the heart of the Royal family, finds his land and people in the deadliest peril. The Wizard Bremen also stands against that peril, which threatens the lands of the Dwarves and of Men as well.
 
         Bremen, along with a small group of comrades, must somehow find the black elfstone and hide it from the deadly enemy that threatens them all, yet at the same time they struggle to rally the people of the freelands to stand against the armies of Trolls, Gnomes, and other dire creatures, led by the Skullbearers. Their greatest hope against the leader of these deadly creatures is a mystical sword that Bremen aids in forging, combining the strength of magic and of science in its blade. Yet what is this mystical power that is held by the sword?
 
         The First King of Shannara being the prequel to Terry Brooks' Shanarra series, has many foreshadows of the other books in the series in its pages. It is well written, if not as superb as some of the greatest, such as Tolkien, from whom Brooks seems to have found some of his greatest inspirations. An enjoyable read for any fantasy fan, and should be on the list of any fan of the Shanarra series.
 
 
Until next time, Happy Writing!
 
RD Williams
http://www.authorsden.com/robertwilliams1

© Copyright 2007 RDWilliams (UN: rdwilliams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RDWilliams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/535272