*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/642695
by JudyB
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1467972
My experiences of diagnosis/treatment of cancer
#642695 added March 28, 2009 at 11:10pm
Restrictions: None
Double Growth Shots
With the chemo finally completed, I once again moved to the cancer lodge and just made daily trips to the hospital lab for blood work, etc. Because the doctor wanted me to have my stem cells collected, they doubled up the growth shots so I would recover from the chemo quicker than usual.

The shots really did boost my recovery and a week later I was scheduled for an exam with the transplant doctor who would oversee my stem cell collection. The day I met him, I was very disappointed. He was a very "negative" individual and the first words out of his mouth were, "I have a lot of doubt that you'll have enough stem cells to do a collection. You'll probably have to come back in a few months after you have more."

OK, so I'm 62, they don't expect things to recover as quickly, but I have been physically active my entire life and to hear him talk so negatively really caught me by surprise.

I was discouraged for days but was pleasantly surprised to learn a week later that after a test was conducted to see how many stem cells I was producing, the collection was declared to be a "go!"


© Copyright 2009 JudyB (UN: judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JudyB has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/642695