*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/705014
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#705014 added August 31, 2010 at 3:31pm
Restrictions: None
Favre Gets Ankle Injections
Favre has planted another seed in the media.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/30/favre-already-is-getting-ankle-i...

The only reason we know about this jiffy lube job, with his spin on how it might or might not affect his performance this season, is because Favre wants to get in the collective heads of fans, media and players who might be hunting down said ankle.

So, why make himself a target? Does Favre want defenses to tee off on him? There's a few ways of looking at why Favre is airing details of this injury in the public forum.

Most will say he needs a built in excuse if he fails to finish this season, or fails to perform like he did last year. That is plausible and understandable and possibly excusable for someone making a go at his 20th NFL season. But why come back if you are not sure how that ankle is going to hold up. It does seem like he was coaxed to give it one more try and he might want to make everyone aware that if they fail to make the Super Bowl, it's not on him but the organization if they fail.

I would like to think the old dog is playing games with the opposition. Maybe, he wants them to come at him and take their shots. If he knows defenses are committed to writing his final chapter, maybe game planning to dupe them into being too overzealous can be used to capitalize with particle playcalling that will keep them scratching their heads.

I think Favre has a reason for putting it out there and not keeping his injury hush-hush. There have been plenty of times his injuries were kept quiet or downplayed, like the biceps tendon debacle that likely took the Jets out of the playoff hunt two seasons ago and sent Eric Manghini packing with a resume in hand.

Favre knows how to play through injury better than anyone and one can quickly cite his insane consecutive games streak. And as a veteran toying with defenses he's picked apart year after year, he's likely got something under his sleeve. And it helps that he has no fear of anyone coming to twist is foot off at the surgered wheelbase.

Now, to sit back and watch how he operates. And what better season opening opponent than those Saints that sacked his playoff hopes in N'Orleans. Perhaps, all this fodder is for Sean Peyton and boys who got a little dirty scratchin' and clawin' their way to the Super Bowl. Does Favre have a message for them in the NFL season opener?

I'm very confident Favre will make a statement and the Vikings likely have an answer since the playoff matchup.

© Copyright 2010 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/705014