*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/727396-Journal-1--Iceberg
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1789324
Required journal entries for Language and Culture class at Baker
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#727396 added July 15, 2011 at 5:55pm
Restrictions: None
Journal 1 : Iceberg
Journal 1: Reflect on your own culture and complete an iceberg that reflects you. What aspects about yourself are written on the tip? What are some other things about you that are below the waterline?

/\
/\/GPA\
/car\/clothes \
/ family \
~~~~~~~~~
/ me \
/ thoughts \
/ feelings, truths \
/ memories, reality \
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\


Wonderful picture of an iceberg isn't it? I am not sure what my culture is except that I believe in the value of family. There are things about me that everyone sees. They see that I wear only skirts. They can see that I have four children, a minivan, a two story home, and a GPA of 3.96. These things are all true, but these things really do nothing to tell about who I really am.

It is true that I have four children that I try to spend every moment with, but knowing that does not let anyone know that I cherish every moment with them because I know what a miracle it is to have them to begin with. It does not let anyone know that I grieve silently for the five that I lost to miscarriages. It does not explain that I do not them talk bad about each other because they should know what a miracle it is to have that brother or sister. It does nothing to tell how much we love to make each other laugh, especially when we sit at the table together. It does not show the happiness and creativity they have when tell me their dreams and stories and plans and ideas and wants and needs.

Knowing I have a minivan does not let anyone know that I drive it saying the word Mitsubishi over and over and long to drive a Mitsubishi Spider just because I love to say the name Mitsubishi. It excites me when it rolls off my tongue. Mitsubishi.

I do have a two story home with two bathrooms and four bedrooms which is quite nice, but I rent because I do not want to buy a house in this city. I long for the country where I can walk for miles without anyone around. I miss trees everywhere. I miss fresh air and people who know how to drive. It does not matter that I have a two story home because this world is not my home... this world is not my home... yes that's in a song.

My GPA is the the part of the iceberg that is deceiving. It would be what sunk the titanic. I cannot tell you how I have pulled this off. It is an act of God. He knows, and my children know, that I cannot remember anything. Remembering names seems like an impossible task, and I'm going to be a teacher? Yes that GPA is deceiving. It is definitely all God and none of me.

As far as the actual language part of me, I guess I can say that I mentally kick myself every time I say the word "like". It drives me insane. The new phrase "yeah I know right" is even worse. I don't say it because I cringe every time I hear it leave someone's lips. My husband says over yander and I make fun of him by saying where is yonder? He gets annoyed by it but I think it is funny. He also says I reckon, and my smart response to that is "is it hard to do"?

words 583
© Copyright 2011 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/727396-Journal-1--Iceberg