*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/810325
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#810325 added March 16, 2014 at 2:30pm
Restrictions: None
Thomas Jefferson and Welfare?
           I'm about halfway through an on-line course from coursera.org on the age of Jefferson. I think it safe to conclude at this point that if Jefferson were alive today, he would not approve of welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and other tax supported help programs. (Social security is a different topic since people actually pay into that themselves It's not supposed to be coming from taxes). He would approve of privately supported secular charities or church supported charities.

           He believed in the virtue and the enlightenment of all citizens. A republic or democracy like we endeavor to have is dependent on individual virtue. And where does the virtue come from? Preachers! From Jews and Christians who would live lives worthy of emulation and teach solid values for a peaceful society. He could not foresee the influx of Eastern religions, so he only considered the Judeo-Christian tradition. He held no denominational affiliation; he was a sect of one. He claimed to be Unitarian.

         He felt strongly that both government and religion needed to be protected from the other, but they were mutually dependent. Neither should impose its will or influence on the other. Religion could not think freely without protection from government, and government could not operate for the good of society without the virtue and personal improvement fostered by religion. He liked most American religions because they were "grassroots" organizations, rather than from the top to bottom like most European religions, such as the Anglican church.

         Whether America has swung away from TJ's ideal or carried it out can be debated. Certainly, the prominence of personal virtue is questionable. Pop culture tells us that personal enlightenment is not a priority. We do know that religion is necessary for a successful Republic according to Jefferson, as long as neither attempts to control the other. As for helping the downtrodden and the refugee, I think he would say we should be a helpful society and let people volunteer to help, not force them through taxes. 

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/810325