*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/810502
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#810502 added March 17, 2014 at 10:56pm
Restrictions: None
St Patrick's Day
         Just a reminder, since it's Mar. 17. Beware the wild banshees. They are female spirits, supposedly family ancestors who weren't quite done with this life, or just couldn't let go. They linger and attach themselves to the family and its descendants. You hear one cry when someone in the family is going to die soon. Now there are two kinds of cries. If it's a good-hearted banshee, especially if the fated one is young or newly in love, the cry will low, and mournful, and very sad to hear. If the banshee is hateful, still full of anger from living, the cry will be extra loud and shrieking, even happy that someone is about to suffer.

         While we are discussing Irish figures, do you know why you hardly ever encounter a leprechaun these days? Two reasons: school teachers and horror films. First school teachers tell the children not to believe the old tales. It offends the leprechauns that the children, and now the teens and young adults don't believe they exist. So they've moved to the mountains and remote areas where teachers aren't so plentiful. Now, how do they explain the sparks from the fireplace that burn the rug, or things that get turned over or milk that gets spilled? Or the missing cookie? The wee folk go elsewhere to work and explore.

         Then there's the horror film. Those folks are always portraying leprechauns as dangerous, murderous, and scary. They may be tricky, or even practice the occasional larceny, but never turn to murder, or frightening people. Needless to say, there's now more enmity from regular folks towards the wee folk, so they don't take chances. They're safer far away from any place with TV or movie theaters.

         Here's hoping your St. Patrick's Day was a merry one. You needn't worry about wearing green, since no one is close enough to pinch you. Erin Go Braugh.


© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/810502