*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/820477
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#820477 added June 22, 2014 at 12:37am
Restrictions: None
What Makes Us Selfish?
Today I am reminded of things that we sometimes forget: like telling your adult children you love them; like saying sorry when you've hurt someone's feeling; like doing something for someone who needs help; like loving someone.

What is it that makes us selfish? Are we born selfish? Did we acquire selfishness? Did we teach ourselves to be selfish? Are we by nature selfish?

What is it that makes us selfish? There is a story about a woman who admitted she was selfish. She said she needed to be selfish because her family was selfish, especially her mother. She realized early on her mother did not care for her at all - nor did she care for the rest of the family. All she cared for was her husband. She did not want him to love anyone else, not even the children, because she wanted his love all to herself. She did not want to share her husband with anybody else - most especially her children. Was that the ultimate of selfishness?

Is it wrong to be selfish? Let's look at this mother who loves her husband, and did not want to share her husband's love with her children. Was she wrong? Why did she not want to share her husband's love with her children? Why did she have children in the first place? Because her husband wanted children? But there is such a thing as contraception or a surgery that would remove her reproductive organs. Was she wrong to be selfish?

People have their own ideas of things, especially things that concern their feelings of love, hatred, pity, sympathy. If the daughter experienced the selfishness of her mother, do we condemn her for hating her mother? Do we conclude that one day when she does marry, that she will become like her mother?

Selfishness, what art are thou?






© Copyright 2014 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/820477