*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/823330
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#823330 added July 22, 2014 at 9:51pm
Restrictions: None
Pedestrians with Cell Phones
         Some people just don't think about personal safety. It scares me how many pedestrians will step off a sidewalk with a phone in hand to ear, and step right into a busy bicycle lane or into an intersection. How crazy is that? Maybe motorists are supposed to be on the lookout in some areas, like around a hospital, but they are only required to stop in a marked crosswalk. These pedestrians don't even look up just to be sure, but step out bravely like there are no cars or bikes in these parts. If they would at least look up, I'd feel better for them. People without phones generally look about before stepping out, but the phone seems to shut down self-preservation.

         I hate phone users in restaurants and stores. Would it hurt to excuse yourself to the one on the phone while you pay for your groceries? Or go to the lobby instead of shouting into the phone while people are trying to dine or converse? Does the person on the phone deserve more courtesy than the cashier in front of you?

         Texting while I'm talking to you means I don't need to talk to you. Cell phones are a vital part of our lives. We need them and are safer and can stay in touch better with them. But we still need to keep courtesy and safety at the forefront of our lives. The phone can wait a minute.


© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/823330