*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/826043
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#826043 added August 22, 2014 at 11:36pm
Restrictions: None
Apples
         Apple season is here. The orchards are open for picking and will be for a few months. Most have increased their profit base by expanding their produce and products. One local orchard has added grapevines and its own winery, just small for now. Most will have pumpkins in a month or two. They have added restaurants or snack bars since I was young, and offer hayrides when the pumpkins are in. One even has horses for rent for experienced riders.

         Most of the orchards here are on mountains. The cool night air and warm sunny days are the perfect combination for sweet juicy apples. In fact orchards are found throughout the Blue Ridge Mountains. One of the best variety can only be found in these mountains, the Stayman. It's not found in grocery stores that truck in their produce. You have to go to farmers markets in town, or stands along the Parkway or the mountain orchards.

         The orchards are a great family outing. Small children love the activities. They all have the same souvenir shop. We have one called Graves Mountain, north of town, originally a family orchard, which makes its own jellies, including blueberry. Delicious. The scenery is spectacular. They have rocking chairs on the front porch, and people love to hang out there. There's big hill from the restaurant down to the drive below. It's tempting to lie down and just roll over the grass, but too many dogs! A splendid way to spend an afternoon.

         There's another called Carter's Mountain, closer to me, Southeast of town. The road is gravel, next to a historic inn. It winds for miles in ess curves up the mountain with sharp drops. You pray that you don't meet a vehicle going the other way, but you will. Someone has to go over the edge. You get to the top, and there's a huge parking lot. The scenery takes your breath away.  You look down over the city. You bask in the glory. Then you buy apples and apple cider doughnuts. The apple cider is expensive, but it's fresh, no preservatives.

         I;ve got to go get some apples.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/826043