*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/826396
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#826396 added August 27, 2014 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
Second Opinion
         Well, for once I have good news. The bad business is still out there, however, some better news came along. My brother was told he had mesothelioma and there was no hope. He would have four months without treatment, maybe 18 months after chemo, no guarantees. He was concerned about quality of life in the time he has left. The doctor got mad when his daughter said she wanted a second opinion. She was polite about it, but he was offended, even though he admitted he had little experience in this type cancer.

         He was supposed to start chemo that week, but it was delayed to draw fluid off his lungs. He did not reschedule the chemo. No one from the cancer center or the doctor's office has called him back. He saw several lawyers about mesothelioma and chose one. They recommended two specialists in this cancer, one for lungs in Texas, one in DC for the abdomen.

         He arrived at Baylor yesterday and was met at the airport by a patient advocate. He had doctor's appointments all day today. He said Baylor is like a city of hospitals all connected with skywalks. Everyone was pleasant to him and patient. The specialist there says he doesn't need chemo! He says it hasn't invaded his lungs, only his diaphragm. He's doing a biopsy Wednesday morning, so the doctor can make a quick assessment. He's accommodating his travel schedule.

         He will need a surgery soon, and will need to be off but can go back to work two weeks later. The doctor knows he walks a lot and has a physical job. My brother asked if he would be able to play the piano after the surgery. The doctor said, "Absolutely." Gary said, "That will be a miracle. I can't play it now." The doctor likes his attitude and his joking nature, and says his sense of humor will help him.

         At Baylor they tell him he has 5 to 7 years median life span. He also says that within five years they hope to have big advancements in this disease. This doctor gave him hope, not doom and gloom. He's realistic. He will have surgeries and treatments, but will have quality of life in between.

         Once the diaphragm thing is done, he will go to DC to see the stomach specialist. That is not so dire. It's a slow moving, stable cancer and doesn't have so much threat. It will be inconvenient; there will be discomfort, and expense. But the outlook is much happier.

         He told me over the phone tonight that he is stronger, younger, overall healthier, and prettier than most mesothelioma patients. You can't beat that! Always get a second opinion.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/826396