*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/829021
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#829021 added September 26, 2014 at 6:17pm
Restrictions: None
Hospital Employees of Other Cultures
         I've heard doctors complaining of all housekeepers being Indian (they include Russians and Iraqis). I've heard patients claim that all the nurses were foreign terrorists--probably Asians or Polynesians. The doctor made me mad, but they're too arrogant for argument. I told a patient, an acquaintance, that Asians and "Polynesians" (he doesn't know) are not terrorists. They tend to be Hindi or Buddhist, and currently do not fall in the ranks of terrorists. Even Arabs, who are Caucasian by the way, are not necessarily terrorists.

         There is still so much misunderstanding and lack of cultural education. Even after 9-11, most people still don't know what to do in emergencies and don't have an understanding of who presents a danger. The danger has less to do with how they look, the skin coloring, or slant of the eyes, than what they talk about, and how they behave.

         And in a hospital setting, in order to get the best possible care, it is important to be patient and understanding on both sides. Doctors, nurses, and support staff all have to put the patient first and get past their prejudices and lack of knowledge. Pick up a map once in a while. Study some history or geography of other parts of the world. A more knowledgeable staff will provide better service. A more open-minded patient will receive the best possible care. A kind word goes a long way to establishing a mutually helpful relationship.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/829021