*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/831678
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#831678 added October 19, 2014 at 8:38pm
Restrictions: None
Learning To Ride A Bike
         I think I was 7 when I got my first bike without training wheels. I was scared to death. My parents couldn't get me to ride it. The teenager up the street got me to ride it. He was determined I would do it. I remember being excited when I did it by myself. He ran alongside. I was terrified, but felt wonderful once I had my first solo ride.

         Now my niece's daughter is learning to ride. She's 5! She'll be six the end of January. She's been on training wheels since Christmas. They decided it was time. They brought her to my house because I have a long level driveway for practicing. As long as her daddy held on, she was fine. When he let go, she was terrified. She cried, but they kept forcing her to try. I suggested that falling wasn't that bad. So her daddy put her on the grass and let her have some practice falls, so she could see that she wouldn't be hurt. He told her how to stop. Even though she managed for a few seconds on her own, she ended up on the ground bawling, begging not to ride anymore. She wanted to go in and eat.

         So after they all had dinner and played with a huge stuffed chicken, I suggested we go out, just the two of us and have a look at the bike. We got jackets and went out. She asked that I not let go until she felt like she could do it. So I never let go. I just let her pedal downhill and back up in the grass, and then go in circles around the driveway. I figured it's supposed to be fun. She's still young. I'll let her just build up her confidence and enjoy it. One day she'll go out and just do it.

         I think we push kids too early these days. We want them to have nice things, but we set high expectations. Pushing a 7 year old is different from pushing a 5 year old. I would have guessed this kid to be fearless, but I would have been wrong. Every child has a different pace. She'll be doing it soon enough all by herself. Meanwhile, we can use the exercise holding on.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/831678