*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/832687
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#832687 added October 29, 2014 at 10:23pm
Restrictions: None
Charity Phone Calls
         Don't talk to anyone who calls, with an upbeat phony voice, and says "I'm from AC Corp, a professional fundraiser." It doesn't matter whether it's for a breast cancer research or the victims of cancer or for children with cancer. (I think the AC is supposed to make a mental connection with American Cancer Society, but there isn't.) These people are obnoxious and unrelenting.

         If you break down and think that it might be a reasonable charity, they want a credit or debit card. They get very upset if you say you have to mail money. I insist I am not giving my credit card number to anyone who has called me. So they get the supervisor on the phone, and they agree after 5 minutes of talking to mail you something.

         The same day it arrives in the mail, they call to remind you. I don't pay anything the same day it comes. Even the credit cards allow a week or two. I like to do a lot at once and balance my budget. About 3 days later, they're calling to tell you they haven't received it and their whole program is going to fall apart without your personal contribution. That ticked me off, so I held it a whole ten days before writing a check. I had two more phone calls before I put it in the mail. I told the woman on the phone, take me off your calling list. I put a note in the envelope to remove me from all future calls.

         I've had about 20 calls since I sent the note. About every 48 hours some woman calls. I've told them all off and have hung up repeatedly. No one is taking notes apparently. They'll never get another dime from me, I don't care how legitimate they are or how good the cause.

         Do not talk to these people. Do not give them money. Sure, give to charity. Give locally. Give to causes you believe in. Do not give to strangers who disturb your peace and quiet to beg.

© Copyright 2014 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/832687