*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/834996
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(157)
by AJVega
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1877118
Paranormal fantasy set in 1930s. Elements of Reincarnation, Soulmates, Mythology & Nazis
#834996 added March 9, 2015 at 6:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3.1: The Pooka

Earth Date: 6th of September 1340 CE
Location: Aaru, Spirit Realm

Zarad sat alone in the room, sitting on a couch facing the fireplace. As he stared at the flames, he thought about everything Vero told him.

He had explained there was a spiritual crusade, led by a group called the Circle of Medusa-- a group led by Vero and comprised of members of his own Circle... including Aloli.

What a strange name... Circle of Medusa?

Zarad recalled his memory of serpents as being slithery, frightening creatures who could poison their victims with a bite. Why choose such symbolism?

Zarad felt uneasy. The whole thing smelled like a coup. A crusade whose mission could undermine the entire ethereal establishment and go against the Elders.

He was on a moral crossroads and freewill felt like the enemy now.

On one road he would be Caretaker of the Soul Sphere and help his Circle. Something that Vero helped to secure... or did he? He seemed somewhat opposed to it in front of the council.

On the other road, he would refuse the assignment and perhaps be reunited with Aloli... but they were unable to even touch now.

As he wrestled with freewill, the flames in the fireplace suddenly subsided. Shadow enveloped the room and it felt cold.

Although he wanted to delay making a choice, he could no longer stay here. The place now reminded him of the void that lurked outside the walls.

Shedding the human manifestation, he returned to his incorporeal state.

The density of the artificial body vanished as he floated in pure, ethereal form. His thoughts sharpened, as if awoken from a deep slumber. His senses became ultra-heightened and he integrated himself with everything around him, being everywhere at the same time.

Now in his native form, the room seemed to lose much of its Earthly luster. Zarad slipped out of the room and spilled his energy into the hallway. He traversed the corridor, following Aaru’s central artery until he emerged into the main council chamber.

Passing across the luminescent floors, he expected to encounter council members, Vero, or others. Instead, he was alone in the chamber.

Perhaps it was best, he did not want to face Vero or the council with these conflicting thoughts still in his mind.

Now came the choice.

If he followed Vero’s plan, Zarad would just need to cross over the symbol in front of the crescent council table, and be transported to the Soul Sphere to begin his assignment as a Caretaker.

Thoughts of Aloli filled his mind. When would he see her again if he became Caretaker?

As he debated with himself, a brilliant flash from the crescent table grabbed his attention-- it was one of the many celestial objects traversing within it.

Cautiously, he approached the table. He reached out a tentacle hand to touch the sacred object.

As his own personal energy glossed over its surface, a wave rippled through it. Shimmers passed across the stars and galaxies within the table.

He briefly wondered if that ripple could actually affect the physical universe. Perhaps that mere touch from his tentacle caused untold damage to those worlds.

Shuddering at that thought, he whipped his tentacle away.

Zarad recalled the table telling him that it gave the council access to the human world, but he wondered how it served the council. What did they actually do with this power? And what power did it have?

“All they be doing, is observing,” a voice spoke.

Zarad looked at the table startled, thinking maybe the table was speaking to him, but then he caught the real source.

Standing on the other end was a physical being-- a short, humanoid creature with a long, hairy nose, pointy ears and greenish skin. Claw-like fingers latched onto the leg of the table as it slowly emerged from its hiding place.

It appeared to have masculine features-- of male gender Zarad guessed. Its eyes looked like yellow sapphire stones, sharp edges and a black core in its center that must have served as its pupils.

“Observers they say,” he said. “Watching humanity. Helping humanity claim them. But the game they play is spying and manipulation-- a game for which they are masters.”

Zarad had difficulty understanding him-- it was using both verbal and telepathic speech, but with no visual imagery in its telepathy, forcing Zarad to rely solely on the odd combination of words it used to communicate.

“I have never seen a physical manifestation like that,” Zarad said. “What sort of creature is that body-- and who are you?”

The creature left the confides of the table and walked up to him. Thick tufts of fur sprouted out through openings in its clothing-- it may have been humanoid, but it was not human.

“Manifestation?” he said. “I’m not manifestation. Role of familiar for the council. Physical body of a Pooka I am.”

“Pooka?” Zarad said. “Your name is Pooka?”

The creature slapped his hands on his thighs-- in a seemingly agitated gesture.

“Ninian,” it said, slapping its chest loud. “That be the name. Pooka be my species, not name.”

Ninian pointed at the table. “Spying in your thoughts as well? A game that should not be limited to the privileged council.”

Zarad looked over at the sparkling galaxies erupting from the divine object. He knew the table held within it a great power, one that the council manipulated for their purpose... but what did it do for them?

“What do you mean spying?” Zarad said.

Ninian jumped up and down, swatting his palms down on the ground-- it was a gesture Zarad could not decipher, and the lack of imagery in his telepathy did not help.

“Spying is the table’s purpose. And you,” Ninian pointed at him. “Spy for Vero is your role... and that of the Circle of Medusa.”

Zarad hovered back startled.

Circle of Medusa? Zarad thought. How did this creature know about this?

Zarad looked around nervously to make sure nobody was nearby to listen in. He had to clear his mind of these thoughts or he would be discovered.

“Stay your worries,” Ninian said, making a swirling motion above his head. “My power holds your thoughts entrapped in this circle. No privileged spying by the council on us.”

Zarad looked up and noticed for the first time a thin energy bubble surrounding them.

As he became aware of its presence, the bubble explained its purpose to him-- telling him that their thoughts were safely intercepted by the bubble, and that it would recreate the thoughts with babbling of its own, thereby making it unintelligible to an observer. It would give them a private conversation, but the unintelligible babbling would eventually arouse curiosity and suspicion, so their time was limited.

Zarad wondered why it could not just mask their talk indefinitely by hiding the thoughts and repeating nothing. To which the bubble kindly explained that thoughts were energy and energy could not be destroyed entirely, it had to be replaced with the same kind of energy-- it was apparently an unbreakable law.

“So our conversation is private,” Zarad said. “Good. What do you know about the Circle of Medusa?”

Ninian stayed silent for a moment, putting his finger to his cheek-- perhaps a meditative gesture.

“Vero withheld explanation of charter then?” Ninian said. “Time evading his grasp, perhaps?”

Zarad was not sure how to respond to that-- Vero only gave him bits and pieces, maybe he could get some useful information out of this creature instead.

“Yes, he was pressed for time,” Zarad said. “He could not explain it all... perhaps you can fill in the gaps?”

Ninian scratched his forehead, nodding his head.

“Ninian not in position to tell,” Ninian said. “That be up to Vero’s discretion.”

Zarad dropped his tentacles in frustration-- he was really having doubts about continuing with Vero’s plan without knowing more.

“Ninian can show something of Zarad’s interest,” Ninian said, drawing in closer. He then pulled out from his shirt a medallion that looked similar to the one Vero had shown him earlier.

“Power given to me that is of the higher spirits,” Ninian said. “Ninian is promised a prize from Vero, if Ninian help Zarad.”

“Vero asked you to help me?” Zarad said.

Ninian pulled the medallion off his neck and laid it flat on the table.

The celestial imagery changed-- from galaxies and stars to blue skies and green grass.

The images refocused and zoomed in on a Victorian-style house situated in front of a turquoise-colored lake in a rural residence. The landscape was neatly-trimmed, with pretty flowers in potted plans lining the walkway into the home. The image then slowly zoomed to the front door just as it opened.

A woman in a long white gown walked out. She carried a baby in her arms, wrapped in a blanket. The mother’s long, golden-brown hair draped just over the baby as she looked down at it. The image was now close enough to see a bit of sadness in her green eyes, sadness that not even the baby’s cooing seemed to change.

“I don’t understand what this means,” Zarad said.

Ninian slowly looked up to Zarad, the hint of a grin on its mouth.

“Your love,” he said. “Aloli.”

Zarad slapped his tentacles on the table, peering closely at the images. Ripples from his tentacles distorted it and he saw a sudden strong wind coming through the front of the home-- perhaps he could actually manipulate the physical world with this table? Perhaps he could even talk to Aloli from here.

“Not that one,” Ninian said. “Aloli be in the arms of parent mother.”

“The baby?” Zarad said.

So Aloli reincarnated as the baby. Vero had told him that members of his Circle would be reincarnating on Earth to take on secret missions for their cause. It was all part of the plan, he had told him.

Behind Aloli’s mother, a shirtless man stormed out and began yelling at her, his hands flailing in front of her face. She backed away, turning Aloli away from him, and then yelling at him in return. The yelling continued for a moment, ending with the man slapping her in the face-- she stumbled back, almost dropping the baby before recovering.

Zarad could see the energy of his tentacles flutter with anger. How could spirits allow the human host to do such terrible things?

“Saving his love, that be Zarad’s intentions,” Ninian said. “Yes?”

“Is she... she is in danger?” Zarad said.

Ninian shook his head. “Yes, danger surrounds Aloli’s future.”

Apparently, shaking and nodding had different meanings to Pookas.

“But Zarad could save Aloli,” Ninian said. “Of this, time’s interlude provides an entry of fortuitous opportunity.”

“What can I do?” Zarad said. “Reincarnate?”

“Not reincarnate,” Ninian said, then pointed at him. “Zarad’s opportunity is as Caretaker of the Soul Sphere. That is how Zarad can be saving his soul mate, Aloli.”

Zarad stared at the image, watching the crying mother and angry husband retreat into the house-- door shutting behind them to hide whatever wrongdoings continued on inside. The images faded, replaced by the original celestial imagery.

Ninian pulled the medallion away from the table and hid it back in his shirt.

“So, what is Zarad’s chosen path?” Ninian said.

Zarad hovered silently for a moment in thought. He was conflicted about helping Vero, his eternal guide from the moment he was birthed out of the Source. But this changed things, he could not bear the thought of Aloli being hurt, of being born into a world where she would be tortured by the pains of life... without him at her side. He knew what he had to do now, but it was a painful choice.

“I’m going to the Soul Sphere,” Zarad said. “To carry out my assignment.”

Ninian slapped his knees and shook his head. Zarad could not tell what that meant.

“A good path chosen,” Ninian said. “One with much complications for Zarad and much implications to who all else. Now Ninian must go...”

Ninian turned and began walking away.

“Wait,” Zarad said, chasing after him. “Where are you going?”

Ninian stopped, but did not turn around.

“Vero owes Ninian a prize,” he said. “Ninian must collect and see if Vero’s honor matches the conviction of words spouted out.”

He began walking away again.

“What prize?” Zarad persisted. “What did he promise you?”

Ninian stopped again, this time turning halfway to face Zarad.

“Freedom,” Ninian said. “Ninian going free. Not a familiar for Council anymore.”

“What does a familiar do?” Zarad said, trying to keep him from walking away.

“Bah!” Ninian said. “Familiar be getting dumb jobs. Go get this, go get that. Only good thing be watering the tree. Ninian be hearing it sometimes... will hear it more when visited.”

“Tree?” Zarad said. “Hear what tree? What do you mean by that?”

Ninian looked up thoughtfully, then grinned.

“Vero did it. Ninian is freed! Ninian be free to be going back home, down to Earth. Free to... Pooka! Free to be a Pooka once more and visit my kin!”

At that moment Ninian, the Pooka, vanished from the chamber without a trace.

Well, Zarad thought to himself. At least I know that Vero does keep his promises to some...

Zarad looked over to the hexagonal symbol on the floor near the table, it was glowing white, almost as if beckoning him.

It was time to commit himself, the choice was made. Zarad glanced around the chamber once more, his thoughts reaching out to Aloli.

I’m going to join you, Aloli, he thought. I’m not going to let you suffer, my love...

With that thought, Zarad passed over the symbol. It ignited with an eruption of energy that shot up and through him. His spirit form drowned inside the column of energy and everything around him disappeared, his thoughts froze, and everything stopped.

For a moment his consciousness seemed to leave him, startled he wondered if something went wrong, he felt sluggish-- slow, human-like tepid thoughts.

Then the slumber vanished as quickly as it came, as if waking from a dream. It was then that he saw it-- something so beautiful that it erased all remnants of fear and uncertainty within his soul...
© Copyright 2015 AJVega (UN: ajv73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AJVega has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/834996