*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/839906
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#839906 added January 30, 2015 at 10:52pm
Restrictions: None
Retirement Party
         A guy at work retired early. Today was his last day. Nine of us from the office took him and his wife to a nice restaurant Wednesday night and gave him a gift that we purchased ourselves. We made some jokes at his expense, nothing too tasteless with his wife there. He's been treated all week to parties, lunches, and small gifts.He's very knowledgeable, and he will be missed. One area he's supervised for years gave him their own party yesterday, and one lower supervisor broke down sobbing. When he hugged people today, he asked them not to cry.

         Today I presided over an official party, paid by the company for another 25 people or so that he supervised in another area. The food was great, the cake was pretty, and the employees were all positive. It's amazing that the usual whiners and complainers were off, He pointed out that the people in that room were the ones who always showed up for work, rain or shine, ice or flood. Many of them are a great deal older than he, but still work. After eating the first round, one of the other directors asked if anyone would like to say anything nice about him. I was surprised how many stood up to talk about his honesty, his respect for them, his openness and acceptance. One of the rough and tough guys from the trash dock told how much he had learned from him and that he would really miss him.

         Then when they seemed done, I asked them if we were going to hear a speech from the retiree. They started calling on him, so he obliged. He sat on an empty table and said, to vaguely summarize, that in a week or two, all the hours he had put in wouldn't matter. Being on call 24/7 wouldn't count; his knowledge, skills, or memory would make no difference. The people he had worked with and made relationships with was all that counted.

         I took lots of good photos, and sent leftovers back with them. I even got a lot of hugs and sweet remarks myself from these employees.It was a warm and positive experience.I walked away feeling like something good for morale had just happened, even though it was a sad occasion. I had a new respect for that group of tender-hearted employees,

         He turned in his keys and his phone early afternoon, and said good-bye to each one in my office (one of many buildings). He asked if I had my hug yet, and I said no. I had been avoiding it; I know I'm emotional. So I got one then, and told him I was trying not to cry. So he said he better go. He can't handle tears; he's afraid he'll do it, too. I've always hated saying good-bye to people.

         Someday I will retire, unless I become disabled suddenly and just disappear from the work scene.I hope that I will missed at least a portion of how he'll be missed. Will people respect me and feel like I was always fair with them? Will even one person be sentimental?

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/839906