*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/857857-Two-Year-Old-Visitor
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#857857 added August 19, 2015 at 11:59pm
Restrictions: None
Two Year Old Visitor
         Today was a long day with a two year old. Her mom, an RN, had a 12 hour shift. They spent the night with me, so that the girl could sleep in. She's fairly mindful when her parents aren't around. But like most two-year-olds, she has to push the limits, and refuses to eat.

         Every door gets opened, every drawer is pulled out. Her feet go inside the refrigerator before I can get to her. So we have new rules, including "No feet inside the refrigerator!" (She has to stand on a shelf to look higher up.) I have to force her to take a nap. She resists, but within 2 minutes she's out. So I just have to ignore the fake crying and the pleas of "No".

         We read lots of books, tell lots of stories, sing songs of all kinds, and I get to recite from memory nursery rhymes and kid poems. We walk a lot. Sometimes, weather permitting, we pull weeds or sweep (pretend sweep) the patio. We feed birds and pick up trash. Today, the weather did not cooperate. Every time we went out the sun would fade, and it would start to drizzle.

         While I was getting her diaper change things ready, she jumped on the bed. She hit the wall at the head with a really hard thud. We're convinced this fearless child will have a wing of some hospital named for her one day. But I distracted her, and the wailing stopped. No bumps showed up--yet.

         I had to miss choir practice. I admit I'm a little old for this. I have to push myself to entertain her when my head is aching, and I need a nap of my own. (Try resting with a child around.) Kids like to cook, so we made a cake mix. She got to brag and try it out when Mommy got in. It will take me a day to get back into sorts.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books.php/entry_id/857857-Two-Year-Old-Visitor