*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2490755
Rated: E · Message Forum · Entertainment · #1220286
Round 11 is now OPEN Starts now and ends September 30.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 3, 2013 at 5:42pm
Entry for contest- Will's Loss
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is from the prospective of a boy named Will, who is a demigod son of Ares. His friend Ameretta had just died in battle against the Roman Legion. This is his mind frame at her funeral.

There were no more tears. My eyes simply had stopped shedding them. I wanted to scream and to hide. But I couldn't not come tonight. I had to.
Wrapped in the pink and black shroud with a gold outline was my girlfriend, Ameretta. Who was dead.
A long, green spear was embroidered in the center of the shroud. A small plaque was carried in a white cloth while we spoke about who she was.
I didn't care. All I knew was that my rock, my girlfriend, my first and only love, was gone.
I was supposed to be strong, silent, and brave. I was supposed to be smart, kind, and unfeeling.
But I'm not. Not inside. Only Ameretta noticed this, and she managed to get in my shell.
I am called forward to speak, but I can't. My throat tightens and hot tears blur my vision. My knees buckle and I fall, hitting the ground with a thump. Tears are streaming in torrents down my cheeks, an unbreakable flood.
People come up and pat my back awkwardly. I don't move. I just wish they would all go away.
When all that's left is dry-sobbing, I straighten to see a burning arrow hit the shroud, and the funeral pyre.
Ameretta and the shroud go up in flames. I suck deep air from the night sky and try not to collapse again. Instead, I stare up at the stars, looking past the floating embers and smoke.
I don't know who I am anymore. Somebody passes me Ameretta's funeral plaque, which I am to put on the hotel wall.
We march inside, and stand in the entry hall.
I slowly unwrap the plaque and, without looking at it, place it on the wall.
It is celestial bronze, with black lettering, except for her name. I finally bring my gaze to it and burst into dry sobs.

Ameretta Lawrence
b. 08/01/1996
d.07/05/2012
There is always a light in darkness.

Arms press around me and help me to my feet, leading me to my room. I am totally unaware of anything but Ameretta, her various faces flashing past my eyes.
My love. My friend. My leader. My life. My everything. Never to see her 17th birthday. I decide then, to do what she wished, what she told me two nights ago, before we marched into battle.
I will not go easy. And I will fight for her.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry for contest- Will's Loss · 02-03-13 5:42pm
by Emma McCarry

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Masque of Licentia.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2490755