*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2662601
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(363)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #303715
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:17am
Edited: April 17, 2014 at 2:19am
Re: How do I start writing my story?
Depends what you mean, because in some ways the simple answer can be: start typing.

Sometimes the start can be the hardest part though. We get drilled in that the very start of the story is the most important and we strive to find the perfect words that will catch the readers attention, show the character, start the conflict and make the reader want to know more.

It can be a lot of pressure but the easiest combatant is to remember when you are first writing, none of that matters. The first draft is a practice. It's a start, an effort to get the words out onto the page but it's not the end. It's the creation of clay that will later be molded and refined to a wonderful piece of art. So, start with whatever you can form into words and move from there.

Though another bit of advice would be to start right before the main character's world is about to change. That is the common starting point for most stories whether it's right before Harry goes to the magic school, right before the attack ruins Rand's life and his friend's, or even whether it's the death that sparks the investigation in a mystery. That's a common starting place in stories, though maybe not start with breakfast or waking up, unless you can really find a new way to use that approach as it's a tad cliche at this point.

Hope that helps and good luck with your writing.

I should also add. This doesn't sound like a Technical issue so might be better voiced in a different forum like General Discussions. Unless you are meaning to ask, how do I create an item in order to write.

blue case sig created for me by Kiyasama
MESSAGE THREAD
How do I start writing my story? · 04-17-14 1:27am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: How do I start writing my story? · 04-17-14 2:17am
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: How do I start writing my story? · 04-17-14 2:53am
by JaceCar

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2662601