*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2665666
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(363)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #303715
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:44pm
Re: Re: Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotat...
I seem to have a work-around that works (for me, at least). I can't remember doing it this way in the past, but I guess it's possible that I did.

Scenario 1 - If you edit an existing item (using the WdC editor), you get straight quotes. This is true even if the item already contains smart quotes, so you can end up with an ugly mixture of straight and smart.

Scenario 2 - If you drag a Word document or .rtf file (containing smart quotes) to WdC for conversion, you end up with straight quotes.

Scenario 3 - But the following seems to work:

1. In your primary word-processing app (I use Scrivener, but I assume Word or any RTF-style editor would work the same way), click in the document that you want to transfer to WdC, then "select all" (via Ctrl-A, or Command-A on a Mac), then "copy" the document to your clipboard (via Ctrl-C, or Command-C).

NOTE: If you are updating an existing item, the following step will completely replace its contents. BE SURE this is what you want to do. (Of course, you can also just select and replace individual paragraphs, or whatever, but just THINK about what you are doing. To keep your quotes consistently smart, I am simply recommending that you do all of your editing in your primary word-processing app. If you replace something that you wanted to keep, I do hereby disclaim responsibility!) *Smile*

2. In WdC, whether the item is new or existing, get into edit mode and click in the document editor frame/window. If it is an existing item, and assuming you want to replace all contents, you will want to "select all" (Ctrl-A) and then paste the contents from your clipboard (Ctrl-V). If you only want to replace a paragraph (or whatever), just select the paragraph, then "paste" the contents from your clipboard.

3. Optional: In the WdC editor, "select all" (Ctrl-A), then apply your desired font type and font size.

4. Proceed as usual.
MESSAGE THREAD
Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotation marks) · 04-23-14 9:41pm
by Norman Francis
Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotation marks) · 04-24-14 4:22am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotation ... · 04-24-14 11:39am
by Norman Francis
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotat... · 04-24-14 12:44pm
by Norman Francis
Re: Re: Re: Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly qu... · 04-24-14 1:01pm
by Norman Francis
Re: Inconsistent smart quotes (i.e., curly quotation marks) · 04-26-14 10:33am
by Norman Francis

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2665666