*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2675793
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Experience · #1426495
What are you reading?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 11, 2014 at 12:12am
McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" and Others...
         Along with the occasional Facebook post and nutrition facts on $3 water bottles, I've also been reading some serious stuff.
         For the past two months, I've been trying to finish Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil"; however, due to the fact that the man's prose is so thick, as in, whenever he feels like throwing in some $20 words and historical references I've never heard of he does it, I've had a real hard time finishing it. Sure, the guy every now and then throws me a bone, but his language, over all, is more confusing than anything. I read Camus's "The Myth of Sisyphus" and "The Stranger" within the span of time it has taken me to get thus far with Nietzsche, and it seems as though Camus has done more for me than Nietzsche in the nihilism debate. (Let that be a lesson to you, Nietzsche...)
         Another book I've picked up is Oscar Casares's "Brownsville: Stories". I found it at a Barnes & Noble whilst looking for what I call "Valley writers". Since I'm currently in the process of writing a book based on the Rio Grande Valley, I wanted to see what other writers from down here were writing. I was disappointed with what "Brownsville" opened with. The first two stories didn't really entice me; it only gave me "meh" stories and unbelievable characters. I am reluctant to continue reading it...
         "Blood Meridian"... Now this is my kind of book. I doubt anyone can write about the Texas-Mexico borderland as well as McCarthy. This novel is so riddled with things I've never heard of (since I've never gone camping in the desert and couldn't tell you what kind of shrubbery grows there), yet McCarthy has this way of telling the story to make me feel that it's not that important to get what it's really about. I'm almost finished with it...and I'm real sad about that...
         Anyway, that's what I've been reading!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" and Others... · 05-11-14 12:12am
by Max Tyrone

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, § Forsaken §.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2675793