*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2752206
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(363)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #303715
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 23, 2014 at 4:45pm
Need help with a summary for a university course on writing
by A Non-Existent User
This is my very first post here and I hope this is the right place to ask for help.
In my course we usually get 5 short writing tasks per week that will be corrected. Next week, however, my short summary of a news article will be discussed in class and I really don't know how to approach this.
So I got this news article on the grounding of the Costa Concordia back in 2012. No author or date or anything.

The Headline of the article:

'Inexplicable error' by cruise ship captain

The article is just a series of statements issued by various sources (CEO, owner of the company, prosecutors, journalists etc.) and short summaries of surrounding events, such as legal concerns regarding the actions of the captain and his crew, as well as details on how the rescue mission is being conducted.
I can't search for a thesis statement and work around what the author wants to say. For the article I have right here, I really don't know how I can write a coherent paragraph of 150 words.
So here are my main questions:

-How can I start my summary when I don't know the author or his thesis statement
-How can I quote the article in my summary? Like this: "Inexplicable error' by cruise ship captain'' - or like this '' 'Inexplicable error' by cruise ship captain''?
-What would my first sentence start with?

I hope someone here can help me. When I know how to start I usually get good results, but I don't want to present something in class that may be substandard. I had to write this on a phone and auto-correct is killing me, so I hope it doesn't look terrible.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Need help with a summary for a university course on writing · 10-23-14 4:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Need help with a summary for a university course on w... · 10-23-14 6:53pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/2752206