*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3020383
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(363)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #303715
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 18, 2016 at 9:10pm
Re: the writen body looks great..loosing my indentatons p...
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
*Dollar* 100 GPs were sent to Gail Lindsay with this post.
That's not a glitch. It's supposed to remove the indentations. For online reading, the standard for paragraph formatting is different than for text on paper. Online reading uses a blank line between paragraphs and no indentations. That's more readable on a screen.

So multiple and leading spaces are compressed out and indents are ignored unless they are hard-coded.

When it's desirable to use indentation for online material, the fastest way to do the hard-coding is to do it with global find/replace in the word processing software. Replace the tab commands with {indent} WritingML tags, and save to a new file (marked as a wdc upload). Then edit to put the file contents into the item here.

The {indent} tags can also be added while typing onsite or after moving the text to the item (unless the drag&drop complex option is used). The indent button on the button bar (above the body text box) is between the blank space and preformat buttons near the middle. Directions for using the button bar are in Enhance Your Item With WritingML from Writing.Com 101 .

For works like poetry, the Advanced options area in the edit page has a Default Spacing/Preserve Spacing drop-menu -- selecting Preserve Spacing will keep the spacing intact. Using the monospaced font (Courier) may also make a difference with that.

The same function can be applied to limited areas of an item with the pre WritingMl tags -- WritingML Help for pre.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
the writen body looks great..loosing my indentatons posting · 09-18-16 5:50pm
by Gail Lindsay
Re: the writen body looks great..loosing my indentatons p... · 09-18-16 6:07pm
by ~Minja~
*Star* Re: the writen body looks great..loosing my indentatons p... · 09-18-16 9:10pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3020383