*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3029775
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1269187
A monthly contest for stories with a twist. Get 500 GPs for entering! Apr round open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 13, 2016 at 3:35pm
Edited: October 13, 2016 at 3:36pm
Requiem (October Entry)
392 words. I have tried to bring you a plot twist; however, know it's not my strength. I entered this contest to work on it. Thanks for your understanding.

Here is the story (I hope you like it!):

If I don’t sing, I’m dead.

This is not a joke nor a drill!

I am standing on the scene, my teeth grinding together and my breathing loud. The curtains on the sides of the scene sway softly, as though unaware of the crucial event. I can barely look the audience in the eye – not that they’d want me to, anyways. I am paralysed. Fear is eating me away from the inside. My heart is pounding. Even though I’m afraid it’ll burst out of my rib cage, I’m even more scared of the guns pointed at me.

Two minutes left for me to sing now.

There’s only one light in the auditorium: the spotlight directed straight at me. The people, booing with strength I didn’t know they had, look terrifying to me, if not taller. It’s as though I’m back in diapers, standing on two small legs while they’re scolding me for breaking something. Only this time, I’m being held accountable for a mistake.
My black hair falls before my eyes, blocking my nightmarish vision. I can feel the sweat trickling down my neck onto my back. My soaked clothes cling to me.

Singing is the only way to save my life!

I must pass this trial or I’m done for.

However, it’s always been so hard for me to talk. Actually, it’s impossible.

They’re shouting ‘’Die, Alex, Die!’’, insulting me, but I can’t retort anything.

I don’t have the ability to speak. That’s it.

One minute.

I inhale the cold air around me, mustering all the courage I can find in this disastrous situation. My eyes dart in every direction before I open my mouth. An ugly and inconsistent sound comes out of it– I’m as appalled by it as the crowd is laughing at me.

It never occurred to me that I’d fall this low. I used to be so powerful, so respected by my colleagues. I always managed to contain the people’s riots… but not this time.

They dare me to sing as a trial or they shoot me. Fair?

No. But I used to like the idea of putting people against what they couldn’t face with death hanging over their heads.

Now I’m just a pawn being played like I did them.

This game,

I invented it.

‘’Time’s up!’’ cries the crowd as I fail the trial lamentably.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Requiem (October Entry) · 10-13-16 3:35pm
by Cat Carroll

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3029775