*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3032085
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Other · #710633
Members help other members with non-technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Oct 19, 2016 at 10:40pm
Re: Re: Re: A trinket demonstration for a friend...
*Lock* by Past Member 'northernwrites'
I want folks to know they can display anyone's trinket if they have the ID#.

The site already provides that information in a direct statement in Beta: Trinkets from Writing.Com 101 , which is also linked from the Trinkets: Create New page, which is the point of use. Anyone with questions or problems can post in "Technical Support Forum.

Would that forum been an appropriate place to have demonstrated displaying someone's trinket.

The header of "Writing.Com General Discussion includes:
INTRODUCTIONS *Vignette6* INSPIRATIONS *Vignette6* GOALS *Vignette6* OPINIONS
Welcome to our public forum for the Writing.Com community
to share, compare and communicate!
3) Advertisements for items within Writing.Com are allowed.
(Please do not repeatedly post about the same item.)
1) Announcements will be posted here periodically.

Thus, it's supposed to focus mainly on members getting to know each other, with posts to promote items as a secondary option as long as it's limited to occasional. The "announcements" refers to staff posts of site-wide news.

That doesn't exactly fit your post.

So let's consider this site behavior guideline on how not to spam:
          Would it be okay if everybody else also did that?

Since that would interfere with the main purpose of the forum, the answer would be No.

*Balloonb* Since Trinkets are intended to increase community-ness, and there won't be automated lists of who has what, it seems like "community-ness" points toward getting more people involved in creating things to do that will attract other people to their own ports = giving other people a reason to favorite/fan them.

So member-hosted Forums/Books/Statics/etc., rather than an official site Forum, would be the appropriate place to post something like that, especially if you're looking for a place to post ongoing educational offerings about Trinkets.

As examples/precedents, consider the member-run forums where members can learn and practice b-item links.

Benefits of using your own forum focusing on trinket use and open to the whole site:

*Bullet* A forum on a particular topic provides better access to the info than one topic among many in a more general forum.
*Bullet* A forum can be found with site search.
*Bullet* A forum is better than the newsfeed because people do not have to scroll down through everything else to find something that was posted longer than a couple of hours ago.
*Bullet* A forum is much more searchable than a Notebook tab, which assumes people remember whose Notebook tab to look in -- a real problem when the information was posted as a comment to someone else's note (which you do a lot).
*Bullet* A forum can be sponsored with Bid Click.
*Bullet* A discussion forum can be listed on the Activities page.
*Bullet* A forum can be Favorited/Fanned so fresh activity pops it to the top of the listing in the right hand column.
*Bullet* A forum post can be linked in the newsfeed to promote it, but people don't have to go back there to access the information.
*Bullet* You can post as much as you want in your own forum, and no one will consider it spam.
*Bullet* You can pin three posts to the top of the forum.
*Bullet* You have view counts and other forum moderator tools to gauge how much traffic/interest your activity is generating and for whom.

I would love to see some of mine scattered all over WDC.
I do know better than to spam them but would love to see other folks use them.

Part of "community-ness" is learning to look at things from other people's perspectives.

It sounds like you're forgetting something important:

What purpose does it serve someone else to post your Trinket?
          What value does posting your Trinket provide to someone else?

*Bullet* Posting your Trinket promotes you and your Trinket, not them.
*Bullet* The opportunity to collect someone else's trinket has a limited audience; to those who already have one, it's visual clutter.
*Bullet* People join this site to write. How does your Trinket support their goals?

It could, given some creativity and some "community-ness." But to make it worthwhile to them, you'd have to do more than hold it out and say, "Here!"

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
A trinket ...deleted. · 10-18-16 7:01pm
by ruwth
Re: A trinket demonstration for a friend... · 10-18-16 7:12pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: A trinket demonstration for a friend... · 10-18-16 7:20pm
by ruwth
Re: a question... · 10-19-16 9:51am
by ruwth
*Star* Re: Re: Re: A trinket demonstration for a friend... · 10-19-16 10:40pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: I'm sorry I asked... · 10-19-16 11:31pm
by ruwth
Re: Re: I'm sorry I asked... · 10-21-16 1:36pm
by The StoryMaster
This thread is locked and new replies may not be submitted.
The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3032085