*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3070450
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 20, 2017 at 9:48am
Edited: February 20, 2017 at 9:49am
Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters
Since my theory has been touched on in your response, I'd like to talk about it a little more.

Now the black engineer at the table probably does have some racial stuff that happens in his life. But if as somebody else stated he acts a certain way around white people, that certain way may include, leaving that at home because he's among engineers who are treating him as an equal, not as a barrier to his side-plot about race.

From what I can gather in some scientific circles, this may no longer be the case (especially if the Scientist's March on Washington ends up including protests regarding discrimination in various branches of it). Since a good chunk of research funding comes from the government (including for engineering), scientists have gone more political in recent years. I do not discard the possibility of race entering the picture for that reason. I suspect that more people will opt to not leave those behaviors at home. On top of that, there are corporations who have employee resource groups based on race. I work for a company with an African descent group as well as a group for Asian employees. (If you really care to know, I work for Medtronic, which is very scientific.)

Not everyone of those characters are in the story to parade a race or gender issue. In fact doing so exacerbates the token-guy problem in that their only purpose in the story then is to wave a flag about race issues.

What if it's not the whites that are pushing for this approach? In my observations of blacks and reading up on black culture, there's been a substantial shift in the last 50 years. The notion of black identity has become sharper and a bit more separate from "acting white" (a theme one notices when looking at how Ebony magazine got started back in the 40s). On top of that, there is a bit of commercial segregation going on where various racial entities have TV channels and other media outlets pumping out stories marketed to them. This marketing inadvertently took the pressure off the major networks from to take chances on incorporating minority characters/actors in their shows for a little while. Only recently has this changed (partly because ABC has shown that having stories about minority characters/families can be profitable).

I understand why you feel the way you do, and a lot of the points you bring up actually remind me of why I hate discussing race with more liberal minded people on social media (including people I've been friends with for years). On the other hand, I think it's worth highlighting what happens when you base your opinions on one example, even if you grow up in a diverse area.

Fish rule!

*Gift3**Gift4* Merit Badge in Originality
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on winnning the July MB for the best monthly prompt in The Prompt Me Contest. Great job!!! *^*Smile*^* *Gift4**Gift3*

For all your quirky needs, stop by the "Gift Stop [ASR]
MESSAGE THREAD
White writers writing POC characters · 02-14-17 7:03pm
by Bobbi
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-14-17 7:32pm
by Legerdemain
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-14-17 8:36pm
by Steev the Friction Wizurd
Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-14-17 8:48pm
by Bobbi
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-14-17 10:34pm
by Amyaurora
Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-15-17 9:01am
by KenF
Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-17-17 8:27pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-18-17 7:27pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-17-17 8:17pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-18-17 7:36pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-20-17 9:23am
by KenF
*Star* Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-20-17 9:48am
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-20-17 8:18pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-21-17 9:16am
by KenF
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-19-17 11:31am
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: White writers writing POC characters · 02-21-17 12:45pm
by Steev the Friction Wizurd

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums.php/message_id/3070450