*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1040717-Intolerant-Conservative
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Political · #1040717
Our culture values and accepts diversity, right?
(This was written as a response to an article in a local newspaper)

I’m an Intolerant Conservative


         In our society today we promote diversity and accept the differences in others. We are told to fight acts of intolerance. We see posters and reminders in the public schools to “celebrate diversity” and “embrace differences in others.” Our culture values and accepts diversity, right?

         I’m not pro-life in society’s eyes; I’m an anti-choice fanatic or simply an extremist. I believe that every woman should have a choice as to whether or not she is pregnant: the choice ends when she chooses to have sex. Sex is how babies are made. If you don’t want a baby, don’t have sex. Don’t make a baby and later decide to kill it. I dare not, however, state my opinion on the matter. I dare not bring to bare the principles outlined in the Bible. To do so is obviously fanatical, and would take away the right of a woman to do whatever she pleases. It would take away her “right to sex?”

         I don’t hate homosexual people; in fact, I value their life as much as the next person’s—I even have a few homosexual friends. But as soon as I state my objection to their behavior I am labeled “homophobic” and “intolerant.” I don’t glare at a homosexual as they walk down the street, or yell at them for their choice, but when the subject is brought up in debate I’ll state my objection to their choice of orientation based on my faith and the Bible. That, however, is where I am “wrong.” I am not afforded the same tolerance I am commanded to give. Why am I homophobic? My opinion is as valid as the next one. To tell me otherwise is intolerant.

         I believe that the 10 commandments were set forth by God and designed as an absolute set of rules for people to follow. That’s all well and good until I spew such negative, religious drivel in a public place. The moral principles in the Bible are older than dirt, but that doesn’t make them any less valuable than the latest, politically-correct fad. They are not damaging in any way to the current state of our economy, the war in Iraq, the latest crime rates, or whatever else one can possibly conjure. The fact that I attribute their origin to God is no reason to call them offensive.

         In a culture prodded to value and accept diversity, my “diverse” opinions, being grounded in the Christian faith, are often rejected as extreme, sexist, and intolerant. The same people who promote diversity and acceptance in our society are those who have scolded me for stating my faith-based opinions. They are intolerant when it comes to my religion and opinion.
© Copyright 2005 AlterInfluence (alterinfluence at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1040717-Intolerant-Conservative