*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1072256-The-Philippine-Roadmap
Rated: E · Article · Political · #1072256
This is an essay for my political theories class 3 years ago.
By using key ideas of some philosophers and sociologists, I have come up with some solutions to current political problems in my country.
Before I propose changes in other areas of concern, I must first address the root cause of all problems at the present- political instability and corruption.

THE DEMISE OF PGMA
The demise of Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, being called “pekeng pangulo”, obviously placed more nails on the Philippines' coffin. Corruption in any kind of government at any place will never cease to exist however as long as man has the greed for power and money(Smith, Hobbes). The game of politics is dirty. The administration and the opposition are playing it just like how it should be. However, the game is not entertaining to the audience- the masses. PGMA's performance this year should not be judged yet. She was not given ample time to initiate action and changes on the problems of the country. Further any step she takes is highly criticized although the benefits are for everyone. Economic reforms, the EVAT for example, will always be drastic and painful. But it is better to make a move than to stagnate and rot in place. The mistakes of the first family should not be shouldered by the president. Yes. It gave her a bad image but it does not follow that she is directly involved in jueteng. Are there any concrete evidences yet? As Plato would put it, convictions can be false.
The credibility of an individual cannot be measured alone by the credibility of the family. As for the public apology she made on television, there was no direct statement that she cheated in the elections. In the wiretapped tape, she instructed the man on the other line to protect her votes but not to cheat. The violation she made was an abuse of her power as president by contacting an official to protect her votes only. On the other hand, the credibility of the source of the tape should also be questioned. The act itself is a violation also. I never heard that such issue was brought up besides from the pro-GMA side. GMA may not be perfect but her adversaries are humans as well and they make mistakes too(Augustine).
My opinions lead to one thing: she should not be removed from office at this point. Although I am defending her I still have doubts on my mind, like you do, of her sincerity. But I do not doubt her capabilities of doing the job. Besides, she is the only capable leader we can elect.
The caretaker government being proposed by some groups is a very radical move. Such nonsense will worsen the problem instead of healing the deep wounds. Such situation will be taken advantage by terrorists groups. It will be a great opportunity to create more chaos out of a bigger trouble. A fragmented society is a breeding ground of revolution(Marx). If I were to advise PGMA, I would tell her to rule with an iron hand. But she has to be careful not to follow the steps of the despot Pres. Marcos. I agree that she has to use force if her position is threatened(Hobbes). If people will obey the state, they will benefit from it a stable and secure community(Hobbes). But if she transgressed the borders, she would have to be removed like what happened to two former presidents(Rousseau).
Al leader should possess enough knowledge of the law and history of the country(Machiavelli). At this point, I will propose that the people who want to serve and occupy higher positions in the government, should at least have a college degree and experience as a leader. The present law requires at least a High School diploma. Well that has to change. I despise entertainers who venture into the world of politics even if they are not capable of the job. I believe that not everyone have access to virtues(Socrates). There is an asymmetric relationship that exists in a society(Aquinas). If there was a classless society (advocated by Marx), who will do the dirty work, build buildings, collect trash?
The term people power is being abused today. It is very immature for a country that has been independent for more than a hundred years and yet the government officials are acting like kids fighting over a toy. The masses need no more burden as a change of administration. Such move would mean change in policies, plans and so on. Another experiment that would fail. Sure, competition is healthy but the democracy in the country has turned into democrazy.
If GMA is replaced however, it would have to be by constitutional succession. The people who are planning otherwise are in the process transgressing the state. Humans cannot govern themselves so they need an authority to do so (Hobbes, Socrates). Is the state is created through this aim, then the state should be followed(Plato).

ECONOMIC REFORMS AND NATIONAL SECURITY
The stability of the economy is the most important aspect in the development of a third world country(Smith). The EVAT definitely has a big help but I will propose the removal of taxes on oil and will revert to oil regulation. Having done this, a close monitoring on oil companies and the world market will be done by a committee. The promotion of alternative energy resources will also help a lot of consumers. Rejected and used products which are being brought in the country is quite alarming. It kills the local industry and it creates a bad image for us a dumping site of foreign garbage.
Local products should compete not just locally but internationally as well. For example the coconut industry has a big chance of making it to the bigger market and might even replace the soya bean of U.S. In turn, its growth will provide more jobs and opportunities for the local industry.
A small community will lessen the burden of the government. Overpopulation has a lot of disadvantages for an underdeveloped country, therefore a small community must be maintained(Rousseau). Consequently the division of labor, which is a consequence of a huge population(Durkheim), will be even. Perhaps family planning programs among the poor can at least help to limit the population growth. I will also propose that incentives will be given to families with four or less children only. Instead of advocating a one- or two-child policy, the choice should be made by the couples themselves. The incentives will serve as some sort of reward.
Education is still the best solution to the problems we have(Plato). An educated society will be easier to govern and to control(Foucault).
Health should also be given greater emphasis(Durkheim). There still are remote places that have no access to medical care and safe drinking water. The doctors who want to go abroad as nurses should be tightly regulated if not altogether banned.
I have heard that there are plans to allow divorce in the Philippines. But since I believe that the family is the most important aspect of the community, and can propel the interest of individuals(Durkheim), divorce should not be allowed.
As for the security concerns, the anti-terrorism bill should immediately be passed. Peace talks should be stopped to cut down money and the time spent for an uncertain outcome. The law being a punishment(Aquinas), terrorists will be given the due punishment. Perhaps Michel Foucault won't disagree if the aim was to protect the larger community. This follows the idea of Utilitarianism for it benefits the majority. There has to be sacrifice to attain order(Smith).
Peace will attract foreign investors and cut down expenses on security measures. The budget for military expenses will be cut down and used for improvement in public schools and hospitals.

THE FEDERALIST SYSTEM
The national budget should be managed and distributed accordingly to render services to the public. But this cannot be done if the concentration of economic and political activities is in Metro Manila. I strongly suggest that the system should be changed. The most important factor is the chance that will be given to the provinces to improve their economies.

A FINAL NOTE
To finish this off I would like to comment more on PGMA. At least the society no longer looks on th gender, her womanhood (de Beauvoir), of the national leader these days. Perhaps gender roles are really different today. She has shown that women are also made of steel and that we are not the weaker sex.
© Copyright 2006 ping_of_death (nietzsche at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1072256-The-Philippine-Roadmap