*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1143622-The-Water-Hole-Part-3
by Kings
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1143622
The U.S. and C.S.A. Armies, fought a major battle over a small water hole.

(In Part (3), Brig. Gen. Jones takes command of the Rebel troops)
"The Water Hole" Chapter (3)

Brig. Gen. Jones of the C.S.A. army was going to abandon the water hole during the night to reduce the chances of being spotted by the Union troops. He had moved his cannons and wagons in the rear of his encampment during the day. He hoped this would lessen the chance of their loud noise being heard, when they pulled out. The ploy worked! Gen. Jones left a company of scouts under the command of Captain Webber to guard his rear, during the pull out. He was glad to pull his army away from the water hole. It had caused tremendous casualties on both armies.

When dawn broke the next day his army was far away from any Union troops. When Col. Johnson heard the Rebels had abandoned the water hole, he was astounded!, but glad. Naturally, he was not aware of the water holes destruction. So he sent the scouts on guard, to the water hole to examine the situation. After an extensive search they could not find it for all traces of its former existence had been obliterated, by their own cannons.

The Union scouts reported to Col. Johnson, that they could not find the water hole. The first thing that came to col. Johnson's mind was the Rebels had destroyed the water hole to keep the water away from his troops. In any case he knew the water hole was gone, and so was the Rebel army. He decided that since there were no reason to keep his army there. After the Union casualties were all buried he would pull his army out of the area of the water hole.

Meanwhile, the rebel troops were marching west toward the Ohio river. They hoped to avoid coming in contact with any Union troops. Gen Jones had his scouts on patrol under capt. Webber, to watch for any enemy activity. He knew that western Kentucky had many springs and streams, where he could obtain drinking water. After a couple days of forced marching he decided to make camp. His Rebel's were tired from marching and deserved a break.

The Rebel scouts found a great place to make camp. It had a spring flowing down from a big hill, all that needed to be done was to dam it with rocks., to create a fountain. After making camp and posting guards, Gen. Jones, had the scouts work on making a fountain from the springs flow.

Meanwhile, Col. Johnson was waiting for Lt. Richards to return from the (third army group), with any orders or the reinforcements he asked for. The next day he arrived with orders for Col. Johnson, to move his army, as soon as possible and merge his Union troops with Lt. Gen. Wallace's army. who was fighting a viscous battle in the Tennessee hills, with the Rebels.

Col. Johnson, still had a couple of wagons loaded with drinking water from the water hole. His food rations were also abundant, probably because of the tremendous loses the Union army had suffered. With less than a thousand able body troops he set out for the hills of Tennessee, carrying his wounded in the rear on wagons.

After a long forced march into the rugged hills of Tennessee, Col. Johnson joined up with Lt. Gen. Wallace's Union army of about 6000 strong. The extra food rations and water Col. Johnson brought along was a welcomed sight. Gen. Wallace put Col. Johnson in charge of one of his brigades.

Gen. Wallace, troops had inflicted severe loses on the Rebels. The Rebels fought bravely in the battle, but they were inferior in every way to the huge Union army. During a lull in the battle, Col Travis had seen his troops cut down like weeds in a field.

The Rebel army had suffered heavy casualties from the attack by the Union troops, less than a thousand troops were left. Col. Travis's Rebel army had suffered great loses in previous battles, in Tennessee. Their food rations were running low and so was their water supply. And they were running out of ammunition, Col. Travis was considering surrender.

It would save young American lives from being slaughtered by the superior Union troops. He knew if Gen. Wallace's army attacked again, his troops would be wiped out. Therefore, he had Lt. Bell under a white flag take his unconditional surrender notice to Gen. Wallace. Gen. Wallace accepted his surrender and sent a battalion of troops under the command of Captain Gross, back with Lt. Bell to disarm them. They were then marched north under guard to a prison camp.

A courier, Lt. Casey, had been sent to the Confederate Headquarters, by Brig. Gen. Jones. To report his current location, troop strength, and ask for further orders. After the passing of a week, Lt. Case returned with a message from Headquarters, stand firm! An army, under the command of Major Gen. Fox will link up with your troops soon, the message read. After the link up, Gen. Fox told Gen. Jones, he had been ordered to march north along side the Ohio river and engaged any Union troops. The Rebel troops loaded their water wagons before pulling out.

Before breaking camp, Gen. Jones and the remnants of the Rebel troops, who had fought so bravely at the water hole. Thought, what a waste of young American lives the water hole had claimed. Now it did not even exist, after the direct hit it had taken from the Union cannons. Neither army was victorious in the battle, just a waste of young American lives.

In the hills of Tennessee, Col. Johnson and the remnants of his former command of union troops who had suffered devastating loses, at the battle over the water hole. Could not keep from thinking of the carnage of bloody bodies that were strewn all over the ground, after the battle for the water hole.

It was to leave a lasting impression on their young minds forever. The battle for the water hole was now just a horrifying memory of the Civil War.

(Even though, the Civil War claimed many young American lives. It was destined to happen, just think, without it taking place the United States would not have become, the freedom loving country it is today!)

BY: Kings























.






© Copyright 2006 Kings (tazzy1228 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1143622-The-Water-Hole-Part-3