*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1163637-Plane-ride-to-War
by cerpas
Rated: E · Poetry · War · #1163637
Twice I took this ride, I tried to share a little with you.
They continue to pray for peace, on the plane traveling to war.
The men and women of our nation, heading to battle on distant shores.

The plane ride into combat is a long one, it gives one time to think, and many agnostics have turned to God, while strapped in an airplanes seat.

The younger ones are indestructible, this is what they think, they pound their chest and proclaim themselves, a killer, a soldier, elite.

The veterans all remain silent, they let the children speak, nothing can prepare for the horrors of war, and the killing that they seek.

Mid-flight there is silence, each one lost in thought, a question for each warrior, "Can I do this or not?"

Can I sacrifice myself for others, for my buddy when his life's at stake? Will I have the strength to step into harms way so that others may be saved.

When the projectiles of death start flying, how will I react, will I turn and run or use my weapons, to help beat back the attack.

The fear in their eyes and faces, as the plane begins it's descent, calls for comforting and reassurance, it’s the veterans time to begin.

It doesn’t matter how they got there, nor whether it’s wrong or right, these are things outside a soldiers’ lane, that’s a political fight.

This truth I can tell you, support them all that you can, the things you do will help them get through, the horrors they'll witness first hand.

© Copyright 2006 cerpas (cerpas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1163637-Plane-ride-to-War