*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1167882-The-Sunny-Down-Under---Western-Australia
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #1167882
My place in the world, my homeland, Western Australia, for The Blogville News.
The Sunny Down-Under – Western Australia


The beautiful sunshine, pristine coastlines, and natural bushlands of the southern continent are just part of what makes my homeland one of the best places in the world to live. We are the sunburnt country with fantastic weather all year round. I’m so lucky to live in a place that I truly love. There is so much about Western Australia that makes this a wonderful home.

Western Australia is the largest state in Australia. Sure, places like Queensland and South Australia are more commonly known. The Northern Territory is the heart of tropical Australia, home to crocs who share the local swimming pools and spiders the size of dinner plates. Tasmania is an island, separate from the rest of the country and secluded in the sense that their separation keeps the community tighter knit then the swiftly expanding metropolises of the other states. Sydney has its great harbour, bridge, and Opera House; Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef, Melbourne’s nightlife, all calling cards to the tourists.

Western Australia sometimes seems far removed from the tourist traps of the rest of the country. We’re the biggest but often the most over looked. Yet there is so much to recommend this state to visitors. The beautiful Swan, a river where the sea seems to flow backwards into the land, keeps our capital city enclosed by beauty giving the city workers a nearby escape to nature. There are fantastic views from the high-rise buildings and a mixture of old and new amongst the cities buildings.

Kings Park is another touch of nature surrounded by civilisation. The parkland rides over the hill with splendid views looking across the city, skyscrapers blending with deep, blue, river, boats, and bridges, the green hills disappearing into the horizon. Gum trees and other native plants and animals call Kings Park home and you can wander the trails and feel as if most of it has been totally untouched by man. Then walk a little further and find all the modern conveniences, cafĂ©’s, playgrounds, car parks, that make a day out a comfortable family adventure.

Then a quick ferry trip across the river puts us on the doorstep of Perth Zoo, a haven for so many animals. In a way it’s as if the whole world is reproduced in our zoo. Sections dedicated to animals of all countries, many living comfortably together. Sometimes I wonder if the animals realise they’re held captive, but perhaps the lazy life of having their food arrive at meal time makes a big difference. Every year I make an effort to visit the zoo with my kids. They love it every time and I’ve been going for so many years now and never tire of the wonders.

My home is in a suburb called Armadale. We're right on the outskirts of the metropolitan area as it currently stands. My home is part of the suburban lifestyle, schools every few blocks, a park at the end of my street, the deli a block away, two local shopping centers within 5 minutes drive and the center of town only twice as far. But travel south just a little further and you find the country life of huge blocks of land, cattle, farms, horses, and open stretches of road. In a way it's the best of both worlds, being removed from the hustle and bustle of the city and yet being so close to it.

Further south you venture through Bunbury, Margaret River, Pemberton, Albany, and Esperance. Seeing the countryside pass in farmlands, fruit groves, vineyards, caves of precious gemstones, forest, bushland, and splendid coast. There doesn’t seem a bad time of year to visit anywhere in this wonderful State because the heat of sunny summer leads to moderate winters when the days are occasionally broken by refreshing rains. It’s never long before the sun shines again.

I’ve seen the whales come so close to the shore during their yearly migration. I’ve seen the newborn calves breech, watching the people on the nearby land with curiosity. I’ve seen our historical landmarks. These are the signs of how dramatically times have changed. Yet so much still stays the same. Our history is fairly short in the greater scheme of the time humankind has ‘owned’ the land but its deep and steeped in hardships that taught our ancestors to revere their inner strength and determination. We’ve survived drought, hunger, and war. Much of the country was founded on the backs of criminals, the outcasts of other nations, and yet today, we are a haven for all those who look for a place of acceptance. In a way our history is a huge part of why Australia has developed the way it has.

North is much of the same and the green hills give way to more open land. The further you venture from the ocean the less you see of people. So much of the land seems empty and yet nothing appears desolate. We embrace the land, respecting the outback as a dangerous mistress. For generations she has brought our livelihoods but she gives the commands and never has Australian man believed her tamed.

We have so little crime. People everywhere are friendly and welcoming. We’re a mixture of cultures and everyone has a place here. There is opportunity for everyone to play an equal role. The majority of Australians have a great respect for their country, caring for our place in the world. I’m proud to live here and feel particularly safe. I’m glad my children have the opportunity to go to schools without fear, knowing they’ll get a good education. We have a fairly caring government and a good medical system. It’s not perfect, but when I’ve compared it with other countries around the world, I’m always proud to know that Australia’s is one of the best.

I live in a sunburnt country and I truly love it here. It’s my home and while in the past I’d looked for greener pastures. I’ve really come to appreciate my homeland. I can’t imagine making a home anywhere else. I’d love to travel, and visit the rest of the world. But my roots are here, and I’ll always call Australia home.

© Copyright 2006 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1167882-The-Sunny-Down-Under---Western-Australia