*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1174498-CRIMSON-GRACE---The-New-Threat--Part-A
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1174498
Crimson Grace is a deadly female assassin set in my fantasy world of Terleesia. Pls enjoy.
CRIMSON GRACE - The New Threat (Part A)


When he offered her five thousand platinum crowns, she knew that it wasn’t going to be an ordinary hit. Usually, she would just be paid a few hundred gold pieces for eliminating people who her master (and employer) referred to as “normal threats”. They were the local turf rivals, the upstart kids, the merchants who didn’t pay up, and the annoying city officials of the world. This time, however, he told her it was different. This time, he was actually afraid of the new Guild Master across town. This time, her own intelligence network had informed her, the newly brewing nemesis may not even be human.

Crimson Grace walked along the six-inch parapet of her guild’s training yard, her mind deep in contemplation on the upcoming job. Without even looking down, she leaped over a stoned protrusion, and landed perfectly on the other side to continue walking as if nothing had distracted her. Suddenly, a guild guard came out to the yard, looking for her.

“Lady Crimson,” he said, bowing his head, and breathing heavily. “Grandmaster requests your audience now.”

“Very well, Ry. Lead on.”

They walked into the fort, through a dimly torch-lit corridor that had a stench of pine mixed with sulfur. The guard led her up a clayed stairway that spiraled along a wall to the second floor. She knew her way, but it was customary for a guard to accompany her within the walls of the fort since she did not reside here.

When they reached the Guild Master’s study room, the guard knocked and opened the door. “Lady Crimson is here now, master,” he said.

“Good! Bid her come in,” commanded the Guild Master. He was a graying old man in his sixties with sheepish features, but a cold and calculating demeanor. His back was showing signs of slumping, and his face was beginning to betray his recent worries, and sleeplessness.

When Crimson Grace entered the room, the Guild Master waved to the guard, “You may leave us now, Rytan.”

“Yes, master,” said Rytan, bowing, as he stepped out and closed the heavy wooden door.

Crimson Grace took a seat at the study table as the Guild Master turned to face her. “Crimson, Crimson, my sweet little Crimson,” he said as he came over and held her face in both his rough hands. “How long has it been now since I last saw you? A month? Two months? And look how little you have changed, and how much I have changed?”

“Yes, I see that our new problem doth worry you so, master,” she replied.

“Crimson, do you recall after your first assignment that I said I want to live as long as I can without any worries from any living threats?”

“Yes, master.”

“Well, I mean it, Crimson. No one has ever given me more cause for concern than our latest friend. And, I have learned that he’s not human at all.” He stopped and poured himself a goblet of spirit, then continued on. “Rather than risk an all-out confrontation between our two guilds, you must personally deal with this threat for me. And, as I’ve already stated in my message to you, complete this for me, and 5,000 platinum crowns will be yours. Along the way, you have full access to all our guild’s resources and arsenal.”

Without saying a word, Crimson Grace got off her seat, and knelt on one knee in front of her Guild Master. “It shall be done, master!”

“Wonderful! I love your usual enthusiasm. Please be careful though, Crimson, for I might not see you again,” he said pointedly. “He is a lycan, and an extremely powerful one at that. I am told he is a weretiger, and I have lost almost a dozen men to his cause already. I do not plan to lose anymore, especially you. Do you understand me?”

He extended a hand to gesture her to stand, which she took, and leaned in to kiss him fully on the lips. “Like I said, it shall be done, my master,” she whispered.

And with that, she turned around to leave, suddenly wondering if it was too late for her to change her mind. She had never faced a lycanthrope before, only heard tales about them, and now, she was attempting to kill one for her master. What was she thinking agreeing to this assignment? Led by Rytan back down the stairs, she wondered if she had bitten off more than she could chew?

Behind them, the Guild Master started counting his platinum crown reserve, confident that Crimson Grace, as always, won’t fail him. “For the sake of our guild and our lives, my little Crimson, come back alive.”

(*To Be Continued*)
© Copyright 2006 FungWan (fungwan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1174498-CRIMSON-GRACE---The-New-Threat--Part-A