*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1182440-A-Holiday-Tableau
by Dave
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #1182440
A family gets together for the holiday.
Only the gentle creaking of Granny’s wicker rocker and the occasional popping of flickering fingers of ochre flames licking hungrily at the oak logs in the fireplace encroached upon the quiet in the room as she sat knitting a variegated sweater for her husband. He was drowsing in his overstuffed armchair on the other side of the red brick hearth. As she nimbly manipulated the strands of crimson, beige, and holly-green yarn with her needles, the aroma of apples and cinnamon wafted from the kitchen, where her daughter Darlene was baking pies for the holiday.

From time to time, the muffled sound of laughter and playful squeals could be heard from the children playing in the snow outside. Suddenly, the door burst open, and five-year-old Suzy rushed in, accompanied by a torrent of frigid air, shouting, “Grampa, we need a pipe for our snowman. Can we use one of yours? Please?”

Stirred from his slumber, Grampa got up and went to the bureau to retrieve the corncob pipe he kept for just this purpose. Then he donned his galoshes and parka before going out to supervise the application of the crowning touch to the children’s masterpiece.

After a brief period of reverent admiration, we all adjourned to the dining room to partake of Darlene’s scrumptious golden-brown roast turkey and giblet dressing followed by that luscious apple pie.
===============================================================

227 words
Beginning: Granny knitting by the fireplace
Setting: Home for the holidays
Plot: Family enjoys relaxing holiday
Ending: Family gathers for dinner.
© Copyright 2006 Dave (drschneider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1182440-A-Holiday-Tableau