*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1182792-The-wondrous-days-of-Winter
by JudyB
Rated: E · Other · Activity · #1182792
My memories of a snow covered wonderland
Word Limit: 300 - words used 271
Plot - A sensory description of Winter to include the words: "white"- "excitement" -"hot chocolate" and "crunching."
Setting - At my childhood home in Wisconsin
Beginning - Reflecting on a childhood memory
Ending - Heading home for the night

Winter

As a child, the most exciting days of winter were waking up to see nothing but a wonderland of deep, white snow out of my window. The knowledge that school would be canceled always added even more to my delight!

After a quick breakfast, I would dress warmly, don my boots, throw a scarf around my neck and grab my mittens on the way out the door. Neighborhood friends would quickly gather, sleds in tow and we would head off to our favorite hill. That first ride down the hill always held the most excitement and insured many more "runs" before we finally realized we were cold.

Trudging the three blocks back to my house, which always seemed to be the "gathering" place, Mom would be ready and waiting for us. "Leave all your wet jackets and mittens by the door," she would instruct us. "I'll just bet you would all like to warm up with a cup of hot chocolate." She knew us like a book!

That first day after a snowfall was always so beautiful, as if the earth were pure and untouched. I wished it could always remain so. Before long, however, life always impacted upon it – with snowplows clearing and sanding the roads, children building snow forts, snowmen and, of course, having snowball fights!

It was only when the dark of night began to creep slowly in, that my friends and I would say our good-byes and make our way home, hearing nothing but the crunching of snow beneath our boots.


© Copyright 2006 JudyB (judbie46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1182792-The-wondrous-days-of-Winter