*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1187084-Black-Tinsel-and-Fading-Lights
by Nicola
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Death · #1187084
Just a few thoughts, inspired by tragedies recently faced by two close friends of mine
The December sky, with its usual blanket of swirled grays and whites, cast its bleakness on the world below. As she let another tear escape her eyes, she wondered how the sounds of merry carols could continue to dance in the chilly air, even as death’s shroud suffocated the promise of new beginnings.

Yet, the surrounding white lilies, catching shades of multi-colored, twinkling lights, could offer no answer. And nothing could provide serenity. For she knew that there were times when even angels’ tears could not wash away the despair and the emptiness.

She shut her eyes tightly, like a child hiding from monsters; hoping that when she opened them again, the tears would have subsided, and all would be as it was, if only momentarily. Just enough time to exchange a few grateful words, a loving embrace, and a final goodbye. And for a brief moment, as a barrage of memories played on the silver screen of her mind, she smiled, delighted by the visual splendor.

But when she slowly opened her eyes, and watched as the joyous images quietly faded away, she felt her smile collapse into a frown. With the tears once again making their journey down her cheeks, she pondered how incredibly cruel the mind could be. And how a Christmas tree doesn’t seem to emanate the same warm glow when it’s standing next to a coffin.
© Copyright 2006 Nicola (nicola at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1187084-Black-Tinsel-and-Fading-Lights