*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1202347-ODYSSEY-Commencment
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1202347
Father,Husband and Pilot is called to one final rescue (Please Rate!)
        It was early in the morning and Sarah Vander was waiting in anticipation. Her husband was due home any minute. She had waited for his return for three years. Clark Vander was the Commander of the Eagle V Defender. The best Patrol Ship in the galaxy. Since Mankind took to the skies the Defender Ships have been the space police if you will, although most of the crew aboard these ships were mercenaries promised freedom from their crimes or money to bring down others in the huge crime ring that had begun also since man had opened up space for everyone to travel.
        Vander was a respectable Commander and leader of his Defender Ship, he was also the husband and father of a family back on Earth in a midwest town. He had been ridding the universe of Crime Lords in many different Galaxies for 10 years and every few months he'd go home to be with his family. But he had stayed away longer this time because this was to be his last tour of duty in the Defender Force. Now he had completed his mission and was back home on Earth, driving his sleek black hover car home. he was extremely tired from the jet lag experienced from his long flight from Sector 7, a galaxy of complete ice many many millions of miles from the nearest star. He rested while the hover car drove on autopilot which was what people regularly did anyways at that time.
      As the car came to a stop in the driveway of the homely futuristic suburbian house he awoke, and after a moment to get his bearings became very excited to reach home. As he brought the small suitcase with his meager belongings that he was allowed back on the ship up to the large steel door that was at the front of his house. Before he could even swipe his thumb over the ID box near the door it slide open with a loud WOOSH! and his wife Sarah was standing there a satisfied smilelas and a few tears streaming down her face.
      "You don't know how happy I am your here. Alive. Unharmed!" Clark put his suitcase down as he came into the house and he swooped his wife up into his arms, lifting her off the ground. She hugged him closely and cried openly onto his Defender's Commander Jacket that was a black leather with red stripes running down the sleeves and the collar. The door slide closed automatically behind them with another loud WOOSH!
      "You don't know How happy I am to be here Alive and Unharmed Sarah, but now I'm home for good! Im 40 now and ready to live the rest of my life with you, raising Cale and Drake here in our home. I'm done with the life threatening missions! Now where are my boys?" Said Clark encouragingly to his wife who was a few years younger than him but she seemed aged like  him from the stressful life of a Defender's wife. At first she protested waking Cale who was 8 and Drake who was 5 up so early in the morning but after seeing that Clark wanted so badly to see how theyd grown she went and roused them from their beds.
      Drake was the first to come out, his red blanket in tow carried under his arm had a space ship on it that said "Eagle V" in honor of his dad. His thumb was in his mouth, a habit they still hadn't broke him of. As Little Drake caught sight of his father his finger dropped from his mouth and he yelled excitedly,"Daddy!" He ran to Clark still holding his red blankey. Cale came out in the same groggy fashion but he was the older of the two and he showed it. He didn't carry a blankey and he didn't suck his thumb. He also ran to his father and hugged him. The kids really didn't get to know Clark as closely as a dad should seeing as he was always gone, but he had video confrences with Sarah and the boys often over the video phone, so even though he wasn't close to them in distance, they still knew they had a father that cared for them.
     

    After the reunion took place the family finally bedded down for the night, even though it was early morning. As the days past Clark was reaquainted with the suburban life of a father and he knew he would come to love that role. The kids started getting used to having their father around. A month past of near perfect happiness, then one night the vidphone rang. The phone was in the kitchen area where Sarah was cleaning up a little mess that Drake had made. Clark was in the living room with the two boys watching the wallscreen Hallowgram, it was eveningtime and the kids favorite cartoon was on about a funny superhero pilot who saved the world one joke at a time. Sarah answered the phone and from where Clark anf the kids were all he could her was muffled ramblings, nothing he could make out.
    Sarah came into the living room from the kitchen which was right next to eachother. Her faced spelled worry but she was trying not to show it, but after 12 years of marriage he knew when things were not right with her.
   
    "What is it Sarah?" Asked Clark searching for a reason for her worry.

    "It's....It's the General Clark. He needs to talk to you. in a private conference. Why don't you take the portable vidphone in your office," She paused and looked into her eyes the worry growing, "Whatever it is Clark Please Say No!" Clark Vander just smiled disarmingly at his wife, got the portable vidphone and went to his private study and closed the door.
   
    "General Vaughn? I thought I'd made it clear to the Force that I am out. This had better be good Sir!"

    "Commander Vander I assure that I wouldn't have contacted you if it wasn't our absolute last resort. But as everyone knows you are quite simply the best rescue pilot the Defender Force has seen in quite awhile, and what I need you to do...What we all need you to do is reactivate yourself for this mission. You Commander are the only one who can bring these people back alive!"

    "Why am I the only one who can bring them back alive, and who exactly am i supposed to be rescuing?" Asked Clark questioningly.

    "Because Commander, you and your crew are the only ones that have survived a rescue encounter against Serus."

"Serus? I thought he was killed when we recued that trade ship years ago. Your telling me that alien scum survived?" asked Clark a little angry.

          "He not only survived he has been killing and pillaging under our noses in the outer rim galaxies that we haven't  been patrolling. Look Clark, I know why you wanted to leave the Force. You have a family now and it just isn't like your glory days with the Defenders when you have others to worry about than yourself and your crew. I can't force you to do anything seeing as your not officially apart of the force, but I ask you to think of the crew of this Cargo Barg ship that Serus has captured. They have families too ill wager. Just think about it." Clark could see sympathy for him on the general's face over the vidphone.
            Clark knew that he was going on this mission. He hated to have to leave when everything was going so well at home but he couldn't stand by when those aboard the cargo ship were in danger. Serus was a terrorist from Sector 9 a galaxy with many small planets run by gang bangers and militant groups. He was feared by all as a pirate, a terrorist, and a stone cold killer. In a daring rescue mission the crew of the Eagle V Defender swooped in on the planet where Serus had captives of the trade ship exchanging heavy fire with Serus's men losing a few good defender's in the process. but they came out succesful then and Clark felt he may be able to pull it off again.
    "Sir I will accept this mission. But if you ever call me again after this, for any reason I will come over there myself and deal with you!" With that the conversation ended and Clark after saying he would meet his old crew of the Eagle V Defender the next day he turned off the vidphone and sat for a moment in the dark of his private study at the old wooden desk his great grandfather had handed down all the way down to him. He knew that leaving Sarah and Cale and Drake was going to be so hard. It would be even harder to give Sarah the news. After meditating on what he was about to do clark got up from his chair in the study and walked out to the living room where the boys were watching the end of their favorite cartoon and their mother sat with them not really paying attention to the kids, and Clark knew that it was because she was worried about him.
          She was the first to speak. "He wants you to go on another mission right? And did you say no?" She said in a matter-of-fact tone. But after he didn't answer she knew he had accepted.
       
        "You said yes didn't you? Clark! You can't leave us now! Not when we have everything the way it should be!"

        "Sarah I know that. But this urgent! A whole crew of  men are missing. They have families missing them too. I...I just don't feel right being here safe and sound enjoying my family when i can get them all back and they too can enjoy their families! I have to do this. After this mission I am done, but I must do it."
      Sarah so badly wanted to say that then there will be another mission and another, that he had to draw the line somewhere but she knew that he was determined. She hugged him tightly showing that she consented.

      "I Leave in the morning, I've got to get ready!" Said Clark. He went off to start gathering his things in the study and in their room passing by the boys who were still infront of the hallowgram. As Clark passsed them Drake turned his attention from the hallowgram and watched his father. He looked to his mother, she was fighting hot tears that wanted to burst out and flow but she would not let them. Hse was trying to be tough.

    "Mommy, what's wrong? Why you sad mommy?" Asked Drake who was the more sensitive one of the kids.

    "Your daddy will be the one to tell you." Said Sarah and she went to the kitchen to clean.

    Clark was hastilly throwing together his belongings to leave when he looked at the door of his room and Cale and Drake were standing there, their eyes full of questions. "Daddy why you packing? I thought you said you not leavin us again!" Asked Cale to Clark. Clark stopped his packing and went over to kneel by his two young boys.
     
    "I know what I said boys, but daddy has to save some more people. Is it ok with you that I do this one more time? I promise after this I'm done!"

    The next morning Clark was up quickly and after saying hasty goodbyes he was on his way again in the sleek silver hover car, and again he slept part of the way to his destination.
    Clark walked into The Defender's Headquarters like he hadn't been there in a very longtime.
    "Hey Vander your late! the crews already aboard and in their positions! Get up there and get going!" Said one of the other commanders working at the Defensers's Head quarters.
    Vander went to the docking bay and found Eagle V, it looked worn and tattered and a bit rusty but it was still a trusty ship. Clark climbed aboard to find the drew all ready and at attention, waiting for him.

  "Commander Vander, at your service sir!" Saluted Liuetenant Greenwood.

  "At ease Ladies n Gentlemen. It's good ta see ya again! I had hoped it would be longer but Serus has kind of forced my hand to come back out of retirement! Ok enough trpsin around! Man your posts! Let's get this bird flyin again!"
  Ten hours later the Eagle V was deep into open space the crew set the ship to Auto and they talked and chatted with their commander whom they missed dearly. 

"I figured Serus returning would be the only thing that would get you to come back from retirement! I just didn't figure on it actually happening!" Stated Greenwood.

"Yeah I never thought we'd have to see him again, but with any luck this'll be the last time we do see him." Said Vander.

"Liutenant Pearson how far are we from sector 9?"

"5 hours and closing sir." Answered the young Liutenant. Jenna Pearson was new to the crew but a good pilot and fighter. 

"Ok good ill be in my quarters come find me when were close!" Vander went off to where he stayed during their long rescue flights. A small room with a window looking out at the vast expanse of space. He sat down on the small bed near the window and just stared. He thought of how long he had been there waiting for a chance to go home and see his family. When he'd get to hold Sarah again. He became angry at his present situation. Why was he here after he waited so long to get away? What was he on this fool mission for?
  Then he thought of the alien Serus. He was a stone cold killer, he hated everything especially humans. He had to be stopped.
  Clark Vander woke with a start. he was being paged on his intercom button that was on his jacket. He pushed it and talked. "Yeah what is it?"

  "sir your needed on the control floor, Sector 9 is in sight, but theres a problem. you better come see for yourself."  As Vander walked along the hallway leading to the elevator, he looked out the window and saw some kind of blue light all around the ship, engulfing it. he hurried his pace.
  When he got to the control room floor he walked to the front of the room where Liutenant Pearson stood worriedly.
  "Commander the ship is being pulled toward sector 9 by a tractor beam! we have no idea who is pulling us in and we can't break the code to turn it off." He could see the panic in her eyes.
 
  "It's ok Liutenant we'll figure this out, let's hope they are friendly whoever 'they' are." Suddenly the big screen in the front of the room flashed. and there appeared on the screen the most hideous looking creature that the new liutenants had ever seen. But the small group of the Eagle V Defender who made up the old crew had seen that face before. it was SERUS!
  "I waz wondering when you would come Defenders! I've been waiting for you for months now! Now that I have you, hanging around shall I say let's take a look at your liddle human friends on that cargo ship I took!" Suddenly he dissapeared from the screen and up popped a video of the fugatives aboard the cargo vessel. It seemed to be prerecorded. The were stumbling around apparently after a crash. The ship was mangled and sparks were flying everywhere. Voices of the crew members could be heard coughing and talking to eachother.
    Then the screen started to go fuzzy and fizzle out but the las thing that could be heard before the screen went blank was terrified screams coming from the crew. Vander looked at the blank screen in horror. Then Serus' face came back on laughing evilly. He learned his human traits from no good drifter humans and he had learned well.
   
    "So as you can see you have wasted your time comin ta save them cuz I've already had my fun with em! Now it's my turn to have fun with you! And since your old friends Vander and crew.....I've saved an extra special game!" Serus humanlike smile made all aboard the vessel cringe.
   
    "You see in about two minutes or so Im going to destroy your pesty ship, I'll finally be rid of you Defenders! your the ones that have given me the most trouble. but I may be able to be persuaded to let you live. Even so i suggest you try to save as many as you can in your emergency pods, i like a good struggle!"  The crew looked around in panic to Clark, waiting for his command.
 
    "Fit as many into the pods as possible, but don't eject them yet!" He pushed a signal pausing button so that Serus couldn't hear at least for a couple seconds.

    "I want to see what this alien freak is up to before we take off running away. He wants to talk then we'll talk. Alright those are my orders dismissed to emergency pods! Evasive maneuvers!" Commanded Clark. Then the pause was stopped and Serus came on the screen again.

    "I hope your not going to try anything stupid and ruin my fun Vander! It wold make me very, very angry if you do and i may not let you live at all!" A couple Liutenants stayed by Clark's side as they talked to Serus.

    "No no tricks Serus just conversing with my crew, you didn't need to hear everything now did you? Ok so you wanted to talk so let's talk Serus! Why are you doing this? Why did you kill those innocent humans on that cargo ship?" Asked Clark.

    "Haha you Vander are a smart being. You see, my kind don't feel any emotions. well any except one. Hatred. If my kind hates your kind well then let's just say your race is in for alot of death. And I hate humans! They are nothing but filthy, conceited beings whom I will delight to crush! But to you since i do admire your bravery....I may spare your life." said the ruthless alien.

    "You admire my bravery? I thought you didn't have any other feelings but hate?" Asked Vander puzzled as he and the rest of the guards slowly edged towards the emergency pod bay.
   
    "Hmmm A very wise observation. I underestimate you being. But alas even though I admire you, I was just stalling until as little of your crew were left on your ship with you." Said Serus.

  "And why is that Serus?"

  "Ask your General......" Suddenly there was a series of explosions as 4 alien missiles collided into the infamous Eagle V Defender ship, The explosion sending waves of fire and debris hurtling through space, hitting a few escape pods that had just jettisoned and flew away in escape. The crew in the remaining pods looked on in deep sadness knowing that there was no way Commander Vander could have made it out alive...............                                     
                                    ODYSSEY: THE ACADEMY
                                          17 YEARS LATER

      It was a hot day in the barren desert of Arizona. A big chunk of it stayed barren, being owned by the Defender Academy where they trained the next greats of the Defender Force. Thousands of Acres of desert sand was dedicated to flight simulations of the most extreme kind to mold great pilots who could handle any danger that flew their way.
      The sun shown high that afternoon beating down on the two instructors as they watched Drake Vander in the Sniper VI, a single passenger stealth plane with pin point accuracy weapons and a top speed so fast that it was almost invisible to radar. the instructors rolled their eyes as Vander took off like a rocket from the landing pad starting with a loop-de-loop turn, then he took a sharp turn around a sand dune narrowly avoiding two training missles. The instructors winced as he did a sharp right turn swinging around the Control tower at a blinding speed.
      He swung around the sand dunes again and made a b-line to the docking bay at a break neck speed that the ship had never been taken. Drake came up on the docking bay and hit the decelorater brake hard, and the ship came to a halt right in front of the instructors who were busy writing furiously on their clip boards.

      "WOOHOO, man was that a great run or what Teach? I was really feeling the ship this time, you told us to be at one with it. How'd I do, all A's right, right?" Said Drake to the intructors. He was confident, and young. He was very headstrong sometimes and it definately showed in his training.

      "Drake Vander, you ever pull a stunt like that again, I'm gonna kick your cocky behind outta this academy! You coulda killed yourself, and more importantly destroyed my ship! But on that note, nice control, nice juke move to avoid the missle, yes you do have all A's." Said the instructor at first scolding then reluctantly commending the young pilot.

      "Ahhh Yes! Thanks Teach, I'll try and be more careful with your ship nest time too!" Answered Drake. he then walked away from the docking bay, passing the next pilot who was on his way to be tested, his friend Jason, who was always competing with Drake at everything.

    "Hey Jason, you see that juke maneuver? Man stuff of legends my boy, stuff of legends! Haha!" Joked Drake with his good friend.

    "Alright, alright you cocky liddle kid, I'll just have to show you how a real pilot flies!" Retorted Jason Greenwood. Drake just laughed and walked off to where his dune buggy that he used to drive around the base sat. Drake jumped into the drivers seat and started the small 4 wheel drive vehicle, revving the engine and driving off toward the barracks as his friend Greenwood took off in the Sniper VI jet to take his run on the course. The dune buggy had a completely open cockpit and had all terrain tires and had a rack of light on top.

    Drake cruised along the paved tarmac rode leading away from the hangar, the arid orange sand blew across the black road as a light breeze that is rare in that area picked up. All Drake could see around him was the barracks in front of him and the vast expanse of sand dunes with sparse dried grass lining the dunes.

    He made it to the Barrack in a few minutes and was quickly to his dorm room and changed into jeans and a blue T-shirt. He then sat on the one lounge chair in his room, laying back and getting comfortable in the cool room. As he closed his eyes and relaxed he heard a faint explosion. It startled him. Drake got up from his chair and turned to look out at the sea of sand and in the distance there was a smoke plume shooting up in the sky.
    Suddenly a few yards closer another explosion rocked the ground and sent sand spewing everywhere. Then the bomb siren went off.
    The air raid siren blared loudly over the loud speakers in the hall way of the dorm rooms. Men stormed out of their rooms, some trying to pull their pants or put on shirts and boots while scrambling out of their dorms heading for the bomb shelter. As they all hurried down the hall towards the underground bunker that served as the bomb shelter, the other end of the building exploded from being hit by a missle.
    Drake made it to the bomb shelter as the doors were being closed squeezing through as others pushed to make it through the doors that opened from the ground. Smoke and dust filled the air as the doors were shut behind Drake. Everything suddenly went silent.
    The men listened to the outside noises, all of them anxious and curious about what was going on above ........more to come
   
© Copyright 2007 L.Petersen (soupman81 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1202347-ODYSSEY-Commencment