*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1211283-Last-Night-I-Dreamt-Of-You-and-I-Cried
Rated: E · Prose · Emotional · #1211283
Very personal observations written after a restless night's sleep

Last Night I Dreamt Of You, and I Cried


3:28 AM – After a long day's work, I take a steaming hot bath, slip into my favorite nightgown, and lie down. Thoughts of you race through my head. The funny things you said the last time we spoke repeat themselves once again, and I smile.  I turn onto my side – awaiting sleep to take me.

4:04 AM – Thoughts of you linger. Your beautiful poetry haunts my weary mind. I hear you speak…you are reading to me: Tolstoy, Dickinson, Rimbaud, Kerouac, Morrison, Whitman, Eliot, Dylan. Your gentle voice soothes my soul like a lullaby sung to a newborn babe. Although you are miles away, I can feel you near me, and a single tear trickles down my cheek.

5:18 AM – Oh, restful slumber, why do you elude me? Tossing and turning, my thoughts inevitably return to you. For just a moment I drift off to sleep, and now behind lidded eyes I see your face. You are laughing – beckoning to me from across a field of daisies. The scent of fresh-fallen rain is heavy in the air as I make my way to you. I see your outstretched hand, and I take it in my own as we sit together beside a rippling brook. Once again you begin to read to me. I close my eyes, and the sound of your gentle voice lulls me to sleep.

6:40 AM – The smell of coffee brewing. I turn to see my alarm clock - the digital numbers fluoresce in the darkness, and I know that it will soon emit its incessant, shrill beep to herald the dawn of a new day. Defeated, I rise before the sun. Perhaps tonight you will visit once again; you will sit down next to me, open a book by your favorite poet and begin to read, and peacefully I will drift away to the sound of rippling brooks, the sweet scent of daisies and your voice whispering words of love.

© Copyright 2007 Shannon (shannonchapel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1211283-Last-Night-I-Dreamt-Of-You-and-I-Cried