*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1300916-The-Phone-Booth
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1300916
Assignment: Use a phone and all our senses. Also try not to use the word "I".
The Phone Booth
(292 words)

It was Sarah’s first day working at Arnie’s Stationery on Main Street. Arnie smelled of cigarettes and fish as he stood close showing her how to operate the cash register. Arnie grabbed his coat off rack by the door. As he pushed his arm through his coat sleeve he pointed toward a row of phone booths that lined the back wall of the store. “That first phone doesn’t work, make an out of order sign and tape it to the door.”

“You should be fine -- Tuesdays are slow. I’ve got to take mom to the doctor. Here are the keys – lock up at six.”

As Arnie left the smell of the bay wafted in on a cool spring breeze.

Strange to have so many phone booths in one place. The booths were made of a nice wood stained a light golden brown and varnished. The telephones were heavy and black. Each booth had a wood framed glass door, matching wood bench seat and a tiny little desk to write or read the phonebook that was tucked neatly away on its own little shelf.

Sarah knelt down behind the counter to find paper and pen to make the out of order sign when the bell on the door jingled announcing a customer.

A handsome man in a nicely tailored gray suit came in and walked right past Sarah into the first phone booth and closed the door.

“Sir, that phone isn’t working.” But he didn’t hear her and was already dialing a number.

Sarah watched to see if his call would be connected. Maybe she would not have to make the sign after all.

Just then the man turned toward her, smiled, waved and then vanished into thin air.

© Copyright 2007 Beach Rat (beachratzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1300916-The-Phone-Booth