*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1319184-Bennys-Orange-Dream
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Other · #1319184
Sort of a demented children's story.

Benny was living in Florida and working at an orange juice factory, the AOK-OJ Warehouse, where one of his jobs was to keep the oranges happy. By leading them in song, he managed to keep them distracted until they got so close to the gigantic squasher it was too late for them to get away. It was a horrible job and Benny felt sorry for the poor oranges, but he loved to sing!

One day they were singing a rousing version of “I’ve Got You Under My Peel,” when the warehouse doors came crashing open. In walked the infamous raisin gang - The Dried Grapes - all the way from California!

As angry as Benny was for having one of his favorite songs so rudely interrupted, he was secretly thrilled. For practically ever he’d been a fan of the Dried Grapes; they were after all the only dried fruit gang that allowed small animals into their San Franciscan clubhouse, which, according to some of Benny’s rat pals, was pretty cool.

Benny couldn’t figure out what they were doing at the AOK, when the head raisin, a thoroughly puckered little bugger in a bright yellow raincoat came hopping towards Benny.

“My name is Poncho and I want you to turn off that conveyor belt right now!”

Well, Benny would not be pushed around by a rain-coated raisin. He waited for half of a second before he hit the on/off switch to the belt.

The oranges came to a rolling stop and Poncho began hopping up and down the assembly line. He glanced back at his gang and then at Benny and then said loudly:

“I have a friend here. He’s an orange, and if he’s been squashed...” there was a long pause, and then, “If he’s juice...”

There was complete silence as Poncho stood there and glared at Benny, then he yelled: “Norman!!!” Then quieter, “Normy? Listen man, this isn’t a try out for the Sound of Music, it’s a juice factory! Now I know it’s alright for some oranges, but not you Norman. You always wanted to be in commercials for grocery stores! Please, if you’re not juice yet, please speak up...” Poncho’s voice cracked.

Benny wished he had a friend like Poncho. Someone who could save him from the worst of situations, and Benny was always getting himself into the worst of situations.

The oranges started murmuring amongst themselves. Was it true? Were they actually rolling willingly, singingly towards a crushing sticky doom?

It wouldn’t be so bad if they had known what they were getting themselves into, but they’d all been fooled. Most had come to the AOK in answer to a want ad in the Sunday paper:

WANTED: FLORIDA ORANGES, FOR FUN
ASSEMBLY LINE DUTIES. BENEFITS!
APPLY 1251 PITTS AVENUE

They showed up in droves not realizing they would be creamed for their juice!

Now mind you, there is nothing wrong with being turned into orange juice (if you are indeed an orange), however, it is a personal choice, and these poor oranges had not been given the chance to choose their fate. They had been tricked.

Many of the oranges began to roll off the assembly line and towards the door.

“Hold it!” Poncho cried, “We’re going to get all of you oranges out of here but before we have an orange stampede, I want Orange Norman. Norm, if you’re in here, please say something.”

Benny heard a noise from the far end of the belt.

“Mkte! Pthanglerm!!”

Benny started heading for the noise but Poncho cut him off. It was Orange Norman alright. He was stuck in the squasher!

Oh boy, Benny thought, this is trouble. Please let him be O.K. Please let him be O.K. Please please please! I swear I will never deceive another citrus fruit again in my life!

Norman was stuck but he wasn’t juice yet. Poncho looked crazed because he couldn’t figure out how to get his friend out of the machine.

Benny panicked and began to run. He ran right out of the AOK-OJ Warehouse. He was running as fast as he could when all of a sudden he began to fly.

Up through the trees and into the clouds, he soared safely away from the terrible scene in the orange juice factory. He closed his eyes and thought, “What a wonderful feeling...” When he felt himself land.

He opened his eyes and saw that he was in a kitchen, sitting at a table with a mysterious man who was drumming his hands on the tabletop.

“Hello Benny, I’ve been waiting for you. I am your Spiritual Bodyguard and I have been summoned to help you.” The man stood up and Benny could see that he was wearing a shirt that had words printed all over it. The word “EGGS” was written on his left sleeve. “MILK” was near his shoulder. “TOILET PAPER” appeared on his chest. A grocery list shirt, Benny thought, cool!

“Benny,” the man said, “You shouldn’t run from your problems.”

“I know Mr. Bodyguard,” Benny said, “But I’m afraid!”

The man sat back down and took Benny‘s hand in his own, “Sometimes, the best thing is to face your fear and do the best you can. Now, you’re the only one that can help Poncho release his friend Orange Norman, and if you do, you’ll be a great hero in the eyes of fruit everywhere!”

“But what if Norman is crippled? It’ll be all my fault!” Benny cried.

“Well, at least you’ll have done the best you could do. That’s all anyone can ask of you, you know.” The man smiled warmly at Benny and Benny felt all the panic drain away from his body.

“I’ll do it!” He exclaimed, rising from the table. “Thank you, Mr. Bodyguard, for giving me the strength to face my fears.”

“We all have the power within us, my little friend, sometimes we just have to be reminded.” And with that, Benny was floating back down to the warehouse.



© Copyright 2007 threecrows (sarap47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1319184-Bennys-Orange-Dream