*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1326619-Arland
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Western · #1326619
The start of a screenplay. Based on a true story of a ghost town in Wyoming.

EXT. OUTSIDE PENITENTIARY - DAY

A grizzled man walks out of the double front doors of a concrete building. He wears a tan cowboy hat and spurs. This is BILL WHEATON.

Two SECURITY GUARDS stand outside the doors. They hold rifles and watch Wheaton.

Wheaton stands on the top of three concrete stairs and reaches into his long sleeved shirt pocket. He pulls out a soft pack of cigarettes and a matchbook.

Striking the match on his thick stubble, Wheaton then lights the cigarette. He waves out the match. He takes a puff of the cigarette and looks over to a horse tied at a hitching post.

Wheaton looks back at a security guard. The guard nods and Wheaton slowly walks down the stairs. Upon reaching the saddled horse, Wheaton stomps out his cigarette. He unhitches the horse and rises into the saddle.

EXT. CITY STREET - DAY

Wheaton rides the trotting horse down a dusty street. A few buildings are on the side of the street but there are no people.

EXT. FOREST CAMPSITE - NIGHT

The horse is unsaddled and tied to a tree. A fire lights up the scene. The cowboy sits leaning on his saddle. He holds a picture in his hands.

The picture is of a very attractive brown haired woman. The picture is old and ripped on the edges.

EXT. DUSTY TRAIL - DAY

Wheaton rides his horse across a dusty plain. There is a two track trail which he follows. Cotton wood trees with gold and yellow leaves can be seen in the distance.

EXT. TRAIL - DAY

Wheaton nears the cottonwood trees and a creek. Old wood buildings can be seen over the trees. Smoke comes out of the chimney of one of the buildings.

TITLE (SUPER):        “ARLAND”

He slows his horse and crosses the slowly flowing steam.

EXT. ARLAND - DAY

The town lies against a hill and there is a large rock cliff behind the Saloon. Smoke is coming out of this chimney. Wheaton rides up to the hitching post in front of the saloon and dismounts.

He looks around the town and ties up his horse. The saloon has big letters across the fake front which say “Arland Saloon.” Wheaton enters the swinging doors.

INT. ARLAND SALOON - DAY

Wheaton must adjust his eyes to the dark of the building. He stands in the doorway for a beat. There are no occupants of the saloon so Wheaton walks up to the bar. A bartender turns from wiping down glasses.

The bartender wears a white button up shirt and glasses. His hair is greying and he is a little overweight. He stares on the other man who seats himself on a stool.

                          WHEATON

          What happened to the town Mac?

                        MAC

          Its been a long four years since you was here. This town just dried up. They  put a bridge in by Meeteetse and the stage don’t come through here anymore.

Mac swings his towel over his shoulder and leans his elbows against the bar. He stares at Wheaton. Then he turns around and grabs a bottle of whiskey and two shot glasses. He fills up the shots and both he and Wheaton take the drink.

                WHEATON
          Where is she?

Wheaton stares Mac down. His voice is harsh and threatening. Mac takes a step back from Wheaton.

            MAC

      She’s up there on the hill behind Rose’s.

Wheaton stands and walks out of the saloon.

EXT. ARLAND - DAY

Wheaton stands by his horse outside the saloon. He lights a cigarette and looks up on the hill behind the buildings. In the distance, Wheaton can see a man standing on the hill.

The man holds his cowboy hat against his chest. He sets something on the ground, then  mounts his horse and rides away.

Wheaton throws down the match. He starts to walk towards the hill.

EXT. HILL - DAY

Wheaton reaches the top of the hill and finds a lone grave. Rocks cover the grave and there is a wooden headstone. Wheaton stands at the foot of the grave.

He closes his eyes and holds his head low. He looks as if he may cry. He opens his moist eyes and sees there are half a dozen blue flowers at the base of the headstone.

Wheaton looks back at Arland. The buildings look old and abandoned except for the smoke coming from the saloon.

Over a few seconds, Arland turns from a ghost town to a busting and busy going concern.


PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW!!!!THANKS!!!!

Please keep in mind this is just the first scene. Not everything will be explained here!
Sorry for the format! It didn't keep it from Final Draft to Writing.com!!! Thanks for reading! Keep posted for more!! PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW!!!! 275 Reward Points!!!
© Copyright 2007 sheridantaylor (sheridantaylor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1326619-Arland