*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1338989-Halloweens-Dream
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Ghost · #1338989
Halloween is child's play...
"That dolly speaks to me."

Sara looked down at her little sister and rolled her eyes. She was a weird child. Sara was convinced that the two of them could not possibly be of any blood relation.

'It's just a silly, broken doll, Bethany," Sara responded irritably. She hated being stuck with her baby sister. Especially on a weekend. THIS weekend. The weekend that she had planned to be with Chris.

"It's always an emergency at work," she muttered under her breath as she dished out heaps of macaroni and cheese. She had left the macaroni to boil too long, and now it was just a big lumpy gunk of pasta and cheese.

"It does," Bethany replied coolly. She was always patient with her older sister, after all, it wasn't her fault that she was an idiot. Sara slammed the plate down on the table and picked the doll up by its head. The hair was dry, coarse and matted. Half of it had shed long ago.

"Why is this even in here?" That doll gave Sara the creeps. Even more so than her little sister. She often wondered if she was that strange at seven. Now a Senior in High School, she didn't care enough to try to remember. Looking down at the doll, she shivered and dropped it back on the chair that her sister had propped it up in. Ever since Bethany had came home with that thing, Sara had been trying to rid the house of it. Somehow, it always managed to find its way back in. 

"I like it," Bethany responded, pushing a glob of mac and cheese around on her plate. Her exchanges with her sister were always short and to the point. No need to complicate things with dialog. 

"Why? I mean look at it! Her face is distorted, and peeling. You couldn't pass a steel comb through her hair and... and she's simply ugly! Mother buys you a new doll almost every week and you hardly touch them."

"They don't speak to me." Bethany gave a little smile, her eyes shining.

"Right. When you are done eating, load the dishwasher." Sara didn't have patience for Bethany's nonsense tonight. She wished that their mother would just put her away in an institution already. Or, even shipping her off to a boarding school would be a dream come true.

Bethany treasured her time alone, so her sisters attitude suited her just fine. The more time away form prying eyes, the better. Besides, it wasn't like any surviving members of her family would ever understand her. It was not what the others wanted.

Bethany watched her jean clad sister leave the breakfast nook and head into the sunken living room; grabbing the cordless phone, she plopped down on their overstuffed sofa.  Sara remained ever so predictable, and Bethany knew that she would be out of her hair for good tonight.

"Dear LaSabella."

It was a voice that resonated throughout Bethany's entire being. The first time she heard its enthralling pull, it had awakened within her something that had lied dormant since birth. Now, as it called to her once more, she knew. It was time.

Grabbing the doll, she jumped up from the dinner table and dashed upstairs to her bedroom. Locking the door, she felt her heartbeat quicken along with the vibration of the doll clutched to her chest.

"You're smothering her!"

Bethany nodded her head and held the doll out at arms length.

"Do you approve of your Spirit Name, LaSabella?"

Bethany nodded again, causing blond tendrils to dance on her forehead. She remained quiet, she knew that her voice would fail her in this moment.

"Of course. A smoky voice cooed in her ear. Set her up!"

Bethany moved quickly to carry out her orders. She was unsteady on her feet, and knobbly knees quaked beneath her tiny torso. Falling to the floor, she flung a threadbare, dusty rug aside to reveal a small, glowing oval circle embedded within the hard wood floor. For a fleeting moment, Bethany thought of the small oval birthmark branded on her shoulder and touched it. Swallowing hard, and with trembling hands, she positioned the doll within its center.

Bethany's breath caught in her throat as she slid away on her backside. She could feel the excitement fusing within her very essence. Ignoring the moistness that had developed in her eyes, she watched as the dolls own eyes sprung open. Its brilliant azure orbs shone brightly.

"Look into her, LaSabella. Gaze deep within. Search her soul."

Bethany couldn't look away from that mesmerizing glare, even if she tried. She wanted to be consumed by it. To feel connected to it in ways she had yet to experience. 

A realm, unknown by most, began to unfold before her blurry eyes. Enlightenment engulfed her, and she felt full on the ways of the world that only a few ever got to see. An ethereal obelisk had broken through the cracks of the hard wood, casting its reddish hue across the lavender walls of the bedroom. Coolness and a soft breeze encased her, lifting her golden ringlets from the back of her neck. Gasping, she allowed its power to besiege her.

"Do you understand your tasks, LaSabella?"

"I do, Madam," Bethany had recaptured her voice. She felt empowered now, but didn't dare to look away from the doll. Two dead, hollow eyes peered back at her, now. Its hold on her had been unleashed. At least for the moment.

It didn't feel to Bethany that so many hours had passed, but hearing the birds singing outside of her window linked her with reality. Or at least, the present. It was a school day, but Bethany didn't meet this recognition with dismay. She wasn't tired, in fact she was more energized now than if she had had a full nights rest.

Standing up, she stretched long-limbed legs. She was in accelerated programs at school, but even those classes bored her. Is there no challenge for you, LaSabella? She thought to herself. LaSabella. She liked that name. Bestowed upon her by Lady Suryia, herself. It was rare that Lady Suryia took an interest in initiates. One would normally be required to pass a myriad of trials before being granted a visit by The Lady; she knew that Bethany held the key.

Swinging open the double French window, a blast of frigid morning air poured over Bethany.  While her body trembled involuntarily, it was the sun that immediately captured her attention, just peaking over the horizon. An inch or two of freshly fallen snow blanketed the grounds surrounding their two story brick home and the world was awash in deep pastels of gold and purple. Surely, a start to a beautiful day.

Do we dare to arouse the darkness within?

"Yes, Madam."'

Bethany knew that there were other children out there, in this similar position, defiantly peering into the suns harsh glare. It was the day that they all had been waiting for, for quite a while. A day that she had been anticipating for a year now.

It had been over a year ago, that day, that she had went to visit her grandmother. The grandmother that had nurtured her when she was just too much work for her mother. The grandmother who had spoiled her with too many toys and sweets. The grandmother who understood her more than anyone else in her family. Perhaps, too much.

Bethany had always loved her grandmothers century old antebellum mansion. The exquisite mahogany molding, the spiraling staircase with grand, ornate double banisters. The chandelier that hung in the foyer didn't seem to attract even a speck of dust. It was a marvelous home, and she meant to own it one day.

It was there that she had found the doll, locked away in an old wooden chest, tucked in a nearly dilapidated shed out back. Bethany hadn't been afraid of the spiders that had long ago, weaved their webs, the large water bugs that climbed frantically over her feet, nor the snake that slithered in her path. Something housed within that old chicken coup called out to her with an urgency that would captivate her.

Seeing that old doll at the dinner table that night left Bethany's grandmother speechless.

"Where... Where did you get that, Bethany Marie?" She managed to finally choke out through tight lips. Her face had lost its color and a serving spoon full of garlic mashed potatoes hovered forgotten over its serving dish.

Bethany looked up with a blank expression plastered across her face, and responded, "get what, Grandma?"

Throwing the spoon down, Bethany's grandmother stalked around the dining room table and moved to snatch the doll up by its hair. Bethany's icy glare halted her in her tracks, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"No, no... Has it...? Oh no.. It has already gotten to you! Oh, God, please! Have mercy!"

Bethany calmly turned away from her sniveling grandmother and eyed the dishes before her. She always cooks too much, she thought to herself as she vowed to never become as fat as her grandmother had. She speared a piece of fried chicken with her fork, and meticulously removed the skin. Ignoring the mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy, she gave herself a big helping of green bean casserole.

"Pray with me, Grandma," Bethany requested of the unmoving heap on the floor. Bethany bowed her head and clasped her tiny hands together. Dear Lord, bless this food... and my Grandma too.

Everyone thought that Bethany's grandmother had perished on Halloween, but really, she had died days before. Bethany and Lady Suryia worked through the eves that followed to stage the home, and return it to what it had once been, centuries before.

This was our portal, LaSabella. Your grandmother sealed it off to us, nearly two centuries ago.

"It's open once more, Madam," Bethany replied, pride beamed throughout her, as she knelt before the granite statue of Suryia prominently displayed in the courtyard. Suryia had told her that her grandmother dared to defiantly torture her with that statue, but now, the tables had turned.

She lived a nearly immortal existence, but that wasn't enough. She had to become self-righteous too! Just because she had found her soul, that gave her no right, LaSabella, none at all!

The Lady's outrage had frightened LaSabella, and angered her too.

"I will get her back for you, Madam."

And that, she did.

"Whose grandmother dies on Halloween, anyway? It's creepy. Tonight, at the party, I'll be wondering if her shadow is lurking in every... shadowy corner!"

Bethany could hear her sister through the thin wall that separated their rooms. She was a distraction, but the morning commune had already ended. There would be no party for her tonight, nor school for Bethany, that day.

Walking to the dresser mirror, Bethany stared at her reflection as it gazed through her. Though slightly frizzed, every blond ringlet remained in place. Her smooth porcelain skin was punctuated by her mothers high cheek bones and her dead fathers piecing green eyes.

Swallowing, she began her chant.

"Darkest day, darkest hour, replace the lightness, give us power."

Her chant strengthened with the change of the winds that howled outside of her windows. Her face was streaked with intensity, though her lips wore a hint of a smile. Dark shadows danced on her walls as the sun began to fade away, setting before it had even had a chance to fully rise.

First, your sister.

Bethany nodded and walked to her door. Placing her hand on the cool door knob, she paused a moment. Not tentative about the task at hand, but the way to best execute it. Flinging open the door, she nearly bumped into her sister who was drying her hair with a towel as she exited the bathroom, fresh out of the shower.

Placing a hand on her sisters arm she squeezed it tightly, to get her attention. Sara snatched her arm away from and glared.

"What are you doing now, weirdo?"

Bethany remained calm and said, "I will grant you this one opportunity to flee." Her voice remained even, unwavering as she looked into her sisters quizzical eyes.

Sara glowered, then stalked around her sisters small form in annoyance; daring to place a hand on her shoulder, she shoved her against the wall. She was headed for her bedroom door, but a new voice now stopped her in her tracks. It was cold, ugly, vaguely human.

"What time is it, Sara?"

Wet, gold streaked brunette locks swung wildly as Sara spun around to face the direction of the voice, towards her sister, noting that they were still the only two people in the hall.

Bethany walked slowly towards her, "I tried to warn you," she said, her voice grated on Sara's ears and she clasped them with her hands as she started to tremble. Her legs refused to carry her any further, the terry cloth robe wrapped snuggly around her body was her only protection. Could she really run barefoot through the snow, five miles to the nearest home?

"Bethany, wha-what is this?" Tears were clouding her eyes, but with fear clawing into her, they would not fall.

"I go by LaSabella, now," Bethany replied as she raised a hand skyward. "Souls that have passed through centuries past, relinquish now, The Lady awaits, this breath's the last."

The incantation slid off of Bethany's tongue like acid spiked honey. She watched her sister crumble to a broken heap on the floor. Frost laced air swept through the hall as a thin, cloudy vapor flitted from Sara's lips.

And so, it began. People around the world awakened to darkness and an impenetrable gloom. Unforeseen silhouette's lurked down every alley, around every corner, slithering to and fro, taking a hold of unsuspecting passersby. An unspeakable evil made its home in closets, attics, basements and even under beds along side dust balls and forgotten dirty socks.  Apparitions danced merrily, openly into the streets, free to wander and play.

A scream alerted Bethany to her mothers presence. She ran to Sara's side, and touched her ice cold corpse, "What happened?"

Bethany locked eyes with her mother just then, and with satisfaction, watched as realization struck her.

She raised a hand in the air and stated coolly, "You’re next, Mother."

Word Count: 2400
© Copyright 2007 DemonicVixen (demonicvixen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1338989-Halloweens-Dream