*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1421582-The-Answer
by Shaara
Rated: E · Short Story · Scientific · #1421582
Scientifically it shouldn't exist, but there is an alternate universe.
A Writer's Cramp Prompt:

Write me a story about finding something you've always wanted.
It doesn't need to be a physical thing, just something you've always yearned for.




The Answer





I studied for years. I spent all my weekends and holidays searching. I was told it could not be found, non-existent, impossible.

My friends were right. My enemies victorious. No jump into the future, no pathway to time travel, no closet that would lead one into an alternate universe. None of them scientifically had any basis for fact.

Except the one I discovered last month, after I'd stopped looking, stopped believing, stopped even hoping.

Mariah. I found Mariah. That's the name for the wind, you know. That's how I knew her; she breezed right into my life, throwing dream dust into my eyes, casting smiles that floated me in air.

I think it was her green eyes, no - not green. Emerald, maybe. Or baby grass green -- the green of laughter and sweetness. And the sparkle of them. One look and I could never glance away.

I entered. A friendship. A date. A kiss. A collision with fate.

That's how I found the door. Not scientifically. Not through my research.

It was hidden. No phosphorous. No shimmers of light. No spectrum of light waves curved in and out.

But it is a pathway to a new world, a better world.

All those years digging in deserts, experimenting with compounds, connecting electrodes.

What a waste! For the answer was so simple.

Love is the door to an alternate universe.

You just have to fall and keep falling and falling.

Love.


~~~~~~~~

(230 words)
© Copyright 2008 Shaara (shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1421582-The-Answer