*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1434951-Heroes-Among-Us
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1434951
A short piece of prose about two real-life heroes in my life
Heroes Among Us


Mythology would have us believe that there were once heroes who roamed the earth among us as ordinary humans. Entertaining as these stories may be, the heroes I will describe are not at all mythological, nor are they fantasies of the animated world.

No, indeed they are flesh and bone, beings of great insight and extraordinary persverance. In fact, they don't even realize they are heroes. They have no special costume with a unique logo. The hero costume you will most often see them wear is a sweaty, old tee shirt and dirty, old jeans, tattered from much labor and frugal spending. You will, however, see them in ordinary street clothes, especially on Sundays and on Wednesday nights.

As with most heroes, they did not ask for their position, and would even argue if you tried to convince them of their heroism. They are no less heroes for their humility. For what is a hero, after all? A hero is one who rescues damsels in distress, mentors young people and guides them in making better choices, and yes, even assists men who cannot do their task alone.

Heroes don't stop to judge the person they are rescuing. They merely do the job they were put on earth to do. Their kindness and self-sacrifice are known far and wide. The two people I am thinking about are just the kind of people I have described. They are known to those children who cherish them as "Daddy John" and "Ms. Denise".

They are dedicated to loving and serving God, children, and all people. Most of their "hero" work comes in the work they do for Backwoods Christian Camp. There is no favor too big or too small for them to do.

During the summer months they lose sleep and spend almost all their time at camp, doing their hero thing. When summer is over they begin their year-long campaign to raise funds for camp. They do this because they want children to be able to afford the camp fee. In fact, they give out lots of scholarships every summer to children who can't pay the fee. Their heart is in their camp work, and they show it in the love they have for the campers.

This past Fall "Daddy John" carried his camp around the world to Cambodia. It was a huge success, and he is determined to make it a yearly tradition. He made lots of new friends there, and can't wait to go back to visit them next Fall.

I think the reason that BCC is such a special place for counselors (who are all there on a voluntary basis), as well as for children, is because of the two heroes that give themselves to BCC. I know they are heroes, for I have personally witnessed many heroic deeds. One in particular stands out in my mind.

Once I was there on a Ladies' Retreat. Mr. John (as we adults call him) arrived to drive the truck for the hayride we ladies were looking forward to. I had my doubts as to whether I should participate, seeing as how I was slightly older and larger than many of the ladies there that weekend. Mr. John must have read my mind. (I think that's one of his hero powers.) Just as I was about to walk back inside the Dining Hall, a.k.a. Mess Hall, he swooped down, wearing the hero costume I described earlier, and said, "Ms. Pat, you are gonna come with us on the hay ride, aren't ya'?" Before I could offer my excuses for not going, he had put a folding chair in the hay trailer, and was helping me up.

I tear up sometimes when I think about the kindness that he and Ms. Denise show toward every person they meet. Did he know I was feeling self-conscious about the hay ride? Did he realize I was about to miss out on one of the most spiritual parts of the retreat? I don't know, but I think so.

I know I haven't talked much about Ms. Denise. You see, her hero-job is behind the scenes. She keeps Mr. John fed; she makes sure he takes care of himself. She runs errands and does a thousand and one things every day that he couldn't do without her. She's every bit the hero that he is. Her hero costume is usually a little cleaner and prettier than his, but it, too, is well-worn and shows the hard work that she does.

Do heroes walk among us today? Are there heroes in your life that you may not have noticed? You see, heroes don't make a big deal out of who they are. They don't announce their presence or call attention to themselves. I feel sure you know some heroes of your own; just look around and see.

Pat Nelson
June 4, 2008
© Copyright 2008 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1434951-Heroes-Among-Us