*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1447867-Flying-Jets
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Editorial · Opinion · #1447867
One opinion on the sound of freedom.
This is for everyone who says the following when an Air Force jet flies overhead. "Boys that is the sound of freedom." This is a bullshit statement and they are too dumb to realize it. The sound of a plane flying overhead is the result of jet fuel being ignited and burned at an accelerated rate thus causing a controlled explosion propelling the aircraft at supersonic speeds. Of course this may or may not be another Guinness fueled rant but here it goes.

The sound of freedom is a check being made on a ballot sheet. It is simple enough, the scratch of a pencil or a mechanism causing a small mark on a sheet of paper stating your choice for a new leader. It also could be the sound of people talking about their political views which may lean one way or the other. Maybe it s the sound of a child's laugh. Possibly it is the sounds of footsteps marching down the Washington Mall in the name of their cause. Freedom is the voice of a nation stating that this is what they want. They do not want a despot in charge nor a blinding voice. What freedom is not is the sound of aircraft flying overhead.

The sound of aircraft flying overhead is the failure of countries unable to make nice, their inability to find common ground to live upon. Yes our country was founded on not wanting to be another country nor answering to another country. Yet this all started with a voice. It progressed into demonstrations, unarmed revolts and then when all else failed it ended in violence. What freedom does not start with is an aircraft flying overhead.

Freedom is the will of a people to stand up for what is right. What freedom is not is the rush to violence. Once we knew this to be true. Unfortunately now we numbed ourselves to the point where we think violence is the only way to freedom. The sound of freedom is when we succeed with a voice. It is only when this fails that we have to resort to flying jets overhead.

© Copyright 2008 firedog (firedog23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1447867-Flying-Jets