*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458002-Why-my-favorite-color-is-blue
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1458002
Why my favorite color is blue.
The question is a time tested one. It is one that has accompanied others such as favorite food, band or day of the week. What might the question be and what real relevance does it have in the day to day functions of one persons life? The question is "what is your favorite color" and this is my answer; Blue is my favorite color but I will back it up and not leave it for somebody to guess why.

First, blue is the color that represents both sides of the spectrum of human emotion. People are able to share their emotions through the color blue in both happy and sad times. Blue represents both sides in a melencolic way as it has never been an overly emotional color. By overly emotional it is never been to the extremes although it can lead there. Blue is the color that refreshes the mind and the color of relief as it washes over you. The flip-side of blue is also on the road to depression. You understand this when someone asks "why so blue?" It is beyond me why blue would be a sad color other than maybe it is a familiar color and comforting to those in a less than stellar mood.

The reason blue is my favorite reason is that of all the colors in the spectrum blue compliments almost all other colors. Blue is the master of backdrops. As a canvass blue highlights the clouds, landscapes, flowers and people. I have never sought out a cloudy gray day to take someone's picture. Even if the picture is in black and white the contrast of a blue sky defines the subject. As the color of the sky you can find several shades of blue throughout the day. Right now as I stare out my window the horizon is almost a white-washed blue and as I look up the colors deepen to an ocean blue. When used as a backdrop it makes flowers explode, especially orange and yellow flowers. It works best with yellow flowers as blue is its opposite in the world of primary colors. Maybe this is why so many artists have worked lifetimes painting fields of sunflowers against a backdrop of blue skies.

Blue is also one of the colors found in peoples eyes. To me blue eyes are those that can be trusted. I am not saying this is always true but it is their warmth that sways me. It should be noted that I too have blue eyes but I am not trying to be partial to myself. Blue eyes can be brought out with the right clothing or color of the day. They are the same color as a sun basked ocean where in their depth you can gently float and feel safe. (I am not advocating against the other colors eyes have chosen to be).

It is not to say that there are not other colors that I favor but when the question is asked this is a few of my reasons.
© Copyright 2008 firedog (firedog23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1458002-Why-my-favorite-color-is-blue