*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1478224-Potential
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Young Adult · #1478224
Cat and Adella discover there may be more to Renton
All characters and plotline ©NiaWaters

This work is not to be reproduced in any way without written consent and proper copyright.



Potential.

We had spent two nights in Mayor Shilpa’s village, Hirschberg. The Shilpa family had founded the town as an English settlement in Germany for political reasons back in the late 1700’s. It was strange to see Sorcerers and Humans living together so peacefully. It was a larger town than we had expected, and it took on a unique combination of English life among Dutch settings. On the third morning Cat and I ventured out into town with Mayor Shilpa and his head of police, a solid-looking Sorcerer named Will.

Among the merchants and townsfolk it was easy to see how adored the mayor was. Everyone had a pleasant smile for him. When we finally came to a small pub at the end of the long street in the middle of town, I realized that he meant for us to eat with him. I pulled Cat aside as they entered the door.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, waving to the two men to go inside.

“I can’t eat; I haven’t tried yet, remember? What if I vomit or something?”

“Oh, yeah,” She bit her lip, “Maybe we should just tell them that you’re—”

“No,” I said, “When I poked around the houses that caught on fire, I smelled venom. Vampires attacked them, and there aren’t any in the town.” Cat twirled her large ruby ring around her left index finger.

“Ah! Okay, just say that you’re fasting for religion, they won’t question it; Humans never do.” I frowned. I had no idea what fasting was. I decided that Cat knew more than I did, so we followed inside and sat down at a large table with the two men.

“There you are. Michelle, could you bring us some soup to start off with, please?” An older woman with bright red hair nodded to the mayor and disappeared behind a door that swung open to release an intense variety of warm, simmering smells. I had only been in one restaurant before in my previous life, and that was the last time I could remember having real food. That was a long time ago, and I wasn’t sure I was ready to try it again; the smell was pleasant, not appetizing. Mayor Shilpa prattled on about the menu until Michelle came back again. When she looked to me, I told her I wouldn’t be having anything.

“I’m fasting for religion.” I said quickly at everyone’s dumbfounded look. Cat’s brow furrowed and she suppressed a laugh by taking a drink. Mayor Shilpa and Will nodded in understanding and Michelle left into the back room.

“Thank you for inviting us to this dinner; we’ve really appreciated your hospitality these past days.” I said, folding my hands in my lap. Mayor Shilpa nodded and said it was the least he could do. Cat took another sip of water before resting her elbows on the table and leaning in,

“I’m curious about these fires.”

Mayor Shilpa nodded uncertainly, and Will leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms.

“Do you know who started them? This seems like a pretty peaceful place, why would anyone have a reason to cause harm to this town?” Will looked to the mayor before answering,

“There was no reason to attack this town,” He said bitterly, “It was a small group of bloodsuckers that decided to grace us with their presence.” Cat’s expression remained unreadable, and I tried my best not to flinch at the derogatory term.

“Did they kidnap anyone?” Mayor Shilpa shook his head,

“Four young men were murdered, but none were taken. We weren’t exactly sure if they had a purpose for coming here. The bodies still had blood in them when they were recovered.” The frown that was lingering on my face faded as I realized what this meant. This tale sounded all too familiar. I looked at Cat to see if there was a hint of recognition on her features, but her expression was still blank.

“We’re guessing that the fires were just to add insult to injury.” Will stated cynically. Cat sat back again, and finished off her water.

“Do you know why Renton was attacked?” I asked softly. The Mayor and Will exchanged a glance before Will answered,

“He wasn’t exactly a target. His brother was the one they stole from his home before they set it on fire. Renton says he tried to stop them, and that’s how he lost—” The waitress came at that moment and set down three bowls of steaming soup.

“Enjoy,” She said.

“Oh,” I said, referring to Will’s explanation, unable to think of anything else to add. The mayor sat with his hands folded across his large belly.

“Yes, it was tragic. We must move on though, and I will not let my people be brought down by this. Please, eat; this is your last day here, is it not?”



When we finally ventured back to Mayor Shilpa’s home there was a small gathering that had accumulated to wish the spirits of the recently departed off. As the ceremony progressed I noted Renton standing by his uncle’s side. His expression was somber and there were dark circles under his eyes. After a few words of hope were announced the people dispersed and I nudged Cat gently.

“Maybe you should go talk to him. Was his mother or whoever in really bad shape?” She shook her head, “Them maybe you should tell him that.” Cat shifted her weight from one foot to another.

“Alright, I’ll meet you back at the house.” I nodded and watched her walk off toward the large balcony where Renton stood.

-------------------------------------------------------------

That night Cat didn’t come home. By the time four in the morning came around I was a nervous wreck. I pulled a light jacket on and stepped out into the cool night, listening for anything that might have sounded like a struggle. I passed by Mayor Shilpa’s house, but the party seemed long over. I ran lightly up the hill that Cat and I had been staying on, and saw two distant shadows against the lightening navy sky.

Cat?” I called out as I neared the two, catching the definite scent of Cat. “What the hell are you doing? I’ve been—”

“Adella!” she called out. Her tall frame came closer and grabbed my hand, half dragging me toward what looked and smelled like Renton.

“Goddammit, Cat, why do you have to do this to me at four in the morning?”

“Sit here and watch this.” Cat wagged her thin eyebrows up and down. At least they were safe.

“Okay, Renton, do it again.” He nodded, glancing toward me, and lifted his right hand. For a minuet nothing happened, but then a small ball of fire bloomed in the palm of his hand. From that he dropped his arm and swirled it around the ball, making it bigger and bigger, then changed the color from red to blue to green. With a final breath, and a short wave of his hand the ball faded. Grinning broadly, Cat turned to me.

“Isn’t that brilliant?” She exclaimed, running to Renton and ruffling his hair. I got up and walked over to the two. Renton had a small grin of his own, and was rubbing his left arm. Cat continued,

“When we were talking, his aura peeked. It’s so strong, Adella, you wouldn’t even believe it.” I raised my eyebrow. Renton didn’t look the part of an all powerful Sorcerer.

“He’s that powerful? How old are you, anyway?” I asked. He was aware of me scrutinizing him.

“I’m turning seventeen in a few weeks.” He blushed and looked down.

“And you didn’t know you were a Sorcerer?” Cat spoke before Renton could answer,

“Usually males take a little longer to show their power before girls do. All the chaos that just happened may have triggered it to start up now.”

“Okay,” I stated blandly. Cat wasn’t getting the message. “I need to talk to you for a minute.” Renton nodded, and backed away, kicking at the tall grass as he did so.

“Adella, he’s the most powerful aura I’ve ever seen. It took me months to learn how to do what he just did in half an hour.”

“What are you doing Cat?” My voice was strained. She furrowed her brow,

“I want to train him, Adella. He could do great things, and there aren’t any Sorcerers here that have the skill to do it.”

What? But, we have to—” Cat stood at her full height, crossing her arms.

“He can go with us. He may do us some good, actually. I’ll bet if I tune him up a bit, he’ll be able to sense things before I do.”

“Cat! No! He’s just a boy, you heard him—he’s sixteen!” Cat nodded,

“I’ve already asked him what he wants to do, and he said that his only option here is to become mayor some day. He doesn’t want to stay here,” I assumed that wasn’t the only reason for him not wanting to stay. “And I know what you’re thinking. I asked him what he wanted to do before his power peeked, okay. This just happened, and I think you should really consider it.” I ran my fingers through my hair, wanting to pull at it in frustration.

“I’m offering him something that he’ll probably never find again. After what just happened, I think he could use this training. He’s brilliant.” Cat’s voice reveled how lost to the possibilities her mind had become.

“Goddamnit, Cat...”

“I’m sorry, Adella, but I think we have more to offer him than anyone else right now—”

“Until he gets hurt! Then what? I don’t want to have to worry about him too.”

“You won’t have to! Don’t you see? He can help us; he wants to!” I shook my head. I knew that no good could come of lugging around a pubescent boy full of untamed power.

© Copyright 2008 NiaWaters (niawaters at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1478224-Potential