*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1495279-COUTER-UP
Rated: E · Other · War · #1495279
Time for me to couter up before my wife gives me the Irish hoist.
I do not know how many of you enjoy American Civil War history, but for those who do here are some interesting tidbits.

A few years ago I took my wife and daughter to the 140th reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh, and I must admit the participants did a spectacular job. One thing I thought about as I noticed all those modern day people dressed up in their fancy Civil War era clothing, was, how much do they and the average person in our modern time truly know of 1860's.

Having given birth to this thought, I figured I'd share some Civil War era trivia with you that I piled up as reference material for writing my Civil War novels. For example:

The average wages in 1861: Union Private $13 a month, Black Private (1864) $6 to $10 a month, Confederate Private $11 a month, Southern worker $4 per day, Teacher $2 per student per month.

Currency was issued in 1 cent pieces, 2 cent pieces, 3 cent pieces, half dimes, dimes, quarters, half and full dollars. Also in $2.50 quarter eagles, $3 gold pieces, $5 half eagles, $10 eagles, and $20 double eagles.

Some basic prices in 1861: Cotton fabric 12 cents per yard, dresses $9 each, tallow 4 cents pound, modest farm house $2,000, rent for a house $500 year, bacon 12 cents pound, butter 20 cents pound, coffee 35 cents pound, flour $6 a barrel.

Soldiers were poorly fed during the Civil War and malnutrition contributed greatly to illness and the dreaded screamers. The concept of the mess hall was unknown except in some barracks areas.

In the field Union soldiers subsisted mainly on hardtack, a thick hard cracker, three and a half inches square made from flour, water and salt. Such "teeth-dullers" were commonly issued to soldiers in one-pound packages.

The average Union solider usually mixed his crushed hardtack with other ingredients, usually borrowed from local gardens, creating such infamous dishes as, Bully soup, hellfire stew, lobcourse, and skillygalee.

Soldiers preferred sowbelly (salt pork) to bacon because the bacon would melt and ruin other items in their packs and soil their uniforms. Union favorites consisted of camp potatoes, capillaire, hoppin john, and mud larks.

The average Confederate soldier lived off the land in the deep South and was trained to do so from birth, but he normally received issued cornmeal, shelled corn, treacle, blue beef, and flour in garrison environments. Corn dodgers was a favorite. By the end of the war in 1865, the Confederate soldier was lucky to get a handful of shelled corn mixed with acorns or dried beans about ever third day.

Reading, games, and music was popular among both armies due to the tedium of camp life between battles. Dice was popular, being made out of flattened and squared musket balls or carved from wood. Popular board games were checkers, chess, cribbage and backgammon.

Music was very popular and most units not only formed bands, they had many singing groups who challenge each other. Reading material was cherished and passed around. Publications like Harpers Bazaar and Godey's Lady's Books, and authors such as Louisa May Alcott and Augusta Jane Evans were very popular. Newspapers from both sides were read until they were completely worn out.

If soldiers were lucky enough to attend the theater, and could afford it, the most popular 'stars' of the time were Jenny Lind, William McCready, Edwin Forrest, Edwin Booth and Charlotte Cushman.

Some common words and terms used during the Civil War era are carried over to modern days, while others have disappeared from general use. Here are a few and I will let you figure out their meaning:

Smearcase, skedaddle, shoddy, shillelagh, Sherman's sentinels and Sherman's hairpins, seceshers, pinder, juba, Irish hoist, goober, chego, cooter, cushie, embarcadero, chinch, calaboose, buckra, Black Maria, abatis, savvy, shebang, snood, camisole, housewife, reticule, lobcourse, bummer, butternuts, couter up, blue belly, bodega, hoosegow, wellingtons, Beecher's Bibles, bootee, brogans, caltrops.

Of course Couter up means get yer gear on and move out.


© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1495279-COUTER-UP