*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1507035-The-Dreaded-Work-Party
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1507035
My Dec. 19 entry for Daily Flash Fiction
The party was just like every other year. I dreaded going since the memo came out. It was optional but, of course, everyone who expected to keep their job and not catch too much flak would come. It was nothing more than an esteem booster for the boss. It was rumored that this was the only party he could throw that anyone actually showed up to.

Bruce had already drunk half a bottle of Korbel and was hitting on me. Happened every year. Tomorrow he wouldn’t talk to me again. Brady and Lila snuck off to the store room, as if no one knew what was going on there! Larry was dancing like an electrocuted chicken in the middle of the room. Sandy and Marsha were crying in the corner. The drama queens at their best. Truly I had no use for these people. I had no friends at work, and I didn’t care to share my limited free time with them. However, the “optional” Christmas party had become mandatory as far as we were concerned.

I saw Evelyn coming out of the corner of my eye. More snide comments were in store, I was sure. Just what I didn’t need. I turned toward the punch bowl and absently reached for the ladle when a hand touched mine.

“I’m sorry,” a tall man with deep blue eyes shot me a smile that weakened my knees.

“Do I know you?” I stammered.

“I’m Terrence, from the mail room. I’m new.” He held out his hand.

“Great to meet you Terrence.” I shook his hand. “Are you having fun?”

“Honestly, I hate office parties,” he blushed.

“I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!” I laughed, escorting him out into the hallway.

Word Count: 292
© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1507035-The-Dreaded-Work-Party