*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1507890-The-Joys-of-Winter
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1507890
My Dec. 22 entry for Writer's Cramp
“Ah, the joys of winter,” I laugh as my service tech hands me the repair bill for the furnace. It was 53 degrees in my house when I woke up that morning. Luckily it hadn’t gotten cold enough for the pipes to freeze. At least I had that going for me. I write the man a check and send him on his way.

I readied for work and realized I forgot to take the dog out. After much prodding, his need to “go” overwhelmed his hatred of snow, and he followed me out the door. I brushed the freshly fallen snow from the top of my car, which abruptly blew back in my face and down inside my jacket. It was then that I realized my car door was frozen shut. This was a fairly common problem and I kept a hair dryer and extension cord just inside the front door for the occasion.

After warming the door sufficiently, it opened. By this time, my dear dog could take no more of the cold and the blowing snow. I let him in and grabbed the shovel. There was no sense starting the car before I shoveled the driveway. I wasn’t going anywhere until I cleared the snow.

I started shoveling, and realized that my raw throat was not just from the incredible lack of moisture in the winter air. I sneezed. My chest felt as though it would explode if I sneezed again. This brought on a coughing fit, and drained me of most of my energy. I managed to finish the driveway, though. I had to go to work.

As I walked back up the drive, shovel still in hand, I heard the noise I dreaded every winter. It was the plow truck, plowing the highway. I could have cried as I watched the billowing snow come closer and closer to the end of my driveway. When the cloud settled, I saw htat a large snow bank reappeared near the road. I would not make it through that bank safely. I cursed myself for not buying those new tires last month, and walked back up the driveway to clear the way for my low-clearance car.

I felt near dead as I walked back up the driveway for the second time. I thought that, if I had some tea, the fire in my throat would calm down and my deep, congested cough may subside. Before going inside, I opened my car door and put the key in the ignition. May as well get her warmed up, I said to myself. I sunk low in the seat when I heard the “click”. That was the only sound from my ancient Ford. I tried again, not wanting to believe my ears. “Click.” I put my head on the steering wheel and jumped as the horn sounded.

“Not a total loss,” I said, remembering a commercial from long ago. “The horn still works.” I thought about getting the battery charger from the basement. Instead I went inside and made a phone call.

“Doris? It’s Kim. I don’t think I’m going to make it in today.”

I got back into my pajamas, made some tea, and crawled under my down comforter. That was enough of the joys of winter for one day.

Word Count: 548
© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1507890-The-Joys-of-Winter