*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1514203-City-Streets
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Career · #1514203
A homeless woman reflects on her history.
Just look at me now!

Janet Lawson thought ruefully, huddling closer to the wall of The First National Bank building and watching all the people hurry past.  Wrapping her cast-off, button-less coat tighter around her body; she scooted across the flattened cardboard box serving as her bed; closer to the warm air flowing from a grate venting the tunnels that meandered beneath the city. 

A steaming cup was shoved into her face and she grasped it with hands gloved by fuzzy red socks and looked up into the pitying face of her benefactor.

“Thank you,” she croaked with her little-used voice.

The woman gave her a sad smile and hurried on her way.

Taking a careful sip of the steaming brew, Janet reached up and pulled her toboggan farther down over her freezing ear lobes, while idly watching the professionally dressed businessmen and women hurrying down the sidewalk.

All at once a young woman riveted her attention.  Dressed in a navy coat, suit with matching pumps and a soft white blouse, she strode confidently along, swinging her briefcase in rhythm with her pace.

That was me! Janet thought and heaved a deep sigh. And not too many years ago.


Over the years, she had worked her way up from the steno pool all the way to the lower levels of management.  Her assigned duties included routine presentations of her group’s progress to the upper strata.  Presentations that had been so well received that she was sometimes requested to repeat them for shareholders. 

The future of her career looked very bright as she sat in her office readying her year-end report.

“Janet?”

She swiveled from the computer toward the doorway to find Sam Johnson, her Department Manager, smiling broadly.

“Hi, Sam.  What can I do for you?”

He entered the office with a younger, very good-looking man trailing close behind him.  “Janet, as you’ve probably heard, I’ve accepted a transfer to Corporate,” he smiled and Janet nodded.  “I’d like you to meet my replacement, Mark Davis.”

“Nice to meet you,” Janet said, rising and extending her hand across her desk. 

“Nice meeting you too,” Mark smiled as he took her hand and Janet only wished she could read the expression in his eyes.

Sam cleared his throat.  “Mark comes to us highly recommended, I’m sure you two will work well together.”

Janet and Mark smiled at each other and within moments the two men had moved on to meet the rest of the group and Janet returned to her work.


If only I’d had the foresight, to see what was coming, Janet thought, huddling deeper into her coat and wrapping her arms around her shivering body.


Within a couple of weeks Sam had moved on to his new job and Mark Davis came by her office.

“Janet,” he said with a smile.  “I was just thinking that it’s about time I get to know everyone.  Are you available for lunch today?”

Janet glanced over her schedule.  “It looks as if I don’t have anything really pressing, so I don’t see why not.”

“Good.  Come by my office about eleven-thirty and we’ll try to get a jump on the crowds.”

Janet nodded her agreement.

At the appointed time she took her purse from the desk drawer, closed her office door and trekked down the hallway.  Turning the corner toward Mark’s office she was pleased to note that the other Group Managers were already gathered there.

During lunch, Mark asked each of them in turn about their Group’s individual responsibilities and about current projects on which they were working.  Janet watched his eyes as he spoke with each one and wished again she could read his elusive expression.

Overall the lunch meeting seemed to go well and Janet returned to her office feeling that their new boss had been pleased with what he’d learned.


Janet, whose group had the responsibility for managing the Company’s off-site terminal facilities, presented her annual report to upper management.  She outlined the various means they had employed to cut overall costs and detailed several procedural changes instituted to increase the efficiency of the operations.   

After the meeting the Vice-President approached her with his hand extended.  “Janet, I just wanted to let you know that I was very impressed with what you’ve done.”

Janet could feel the blush rising to her cheeks.  “Thank you, sir.  We’re always trying to work more efficiently.”

“And save the Company dollars,” he said with a chuckle.  “I intend to put a request before the Board that your presentation be added to the agenda for the First-Quarter Stockholders’ Meeting.”

Janet nodded.  “I’d be honored, sir.”

“Good.  I’ll let you know when the agenda is finalized.”

As the VP took his leave, Janet noticed that Mark was carefully observing her from across the room, his eyes as usual unreadable.


A couple of weeks later, Mark appeared in her doorway and tapped lightly on the open door.  “Janet,” he said with a bright smile, “Are you free for lunch?”

Janet frowned and glanced over her schedule.  “Well,” she said slowly, “I have Mr. Townsend, you know, the manager of Storage, Inc., coming in at one o’clock.  I was planning on grabbing a sandwich and using my lunch hour to get some data together for my meeting with him.” 

His smile faded quickly.  “I think you’ll find what I have to propose very worth your while.  You’ll do fine in your meeting with Townsend without putting in the extra time.”

Whoops!  Now I’ve ticked off the new boss.  That’ll never do!  She flashed Mark a broad smile.  “You’re right, of course.  I’m sure I can just, as they say, ‘wing it’.”

Mark’s smile returned.  “That’s my girl!  See you about eleven-fifteen.”

At a few minutes after eleven, Janet was reviewing the last six months usage data for Storage, Inc. when Mark appeared in her doorway.

“Ready?”

But you said eleven-fifteen,  Janet thought.  No, stupid, keep your mouth shut!  She looked up with a smile.  “Sure!”  She pulled her purse from the drawer and joined him at the door.  “Where to?”

“Oh, I thought we might check out that new place over on Main, what do you think?”

Wow!  That place is supposed to be expensive!  “Sounds good to me.”
Strolling down the street, Mark chatted on about the latest college sports team standings and the upcoming schedule of plays at the local theaters.  Janet feigned interest with a nod and a smile at all the appropriate places.

When they entered the restaurant Janet was surprised by the expansive dining room with its sea of white linen-clothed tables and crystal chandeliers. 
Numerous waiters dressed in formal black uniforms stood silently on the sidelines when they weren’t bustling between the tables serving and removing china as soon as the contents were emptied.  Mark gave the maitre ‘d his name and they were escorted to a secluded table. 

After they had ordered and their waiter disappeared, Janet fidgeted under Mark’s steady gaze.  What is he thinking? Why did he bring me here?  She glanced around the room and then smiled across the table.  “This is a nice place.”

Mark nodded.  “The food is supposed to be terrific.”  After a long pause, he continued, “Janet, I’ve been noticing your job performance, which, by the way, is excellent.”

“Thank you,” she murmured with downcast eyes.

“I was wondering how you would feel about taking on some additional responsibility.”

“Well, I always enjoy a challenge.  What did you have in mind?”

“Since your group is already responsible for the managing and budgeting of our terminal operations, I think it would only make sense to combine it with the group that handles the contracting.  Since you already keep track of the forecasted usage, I feel you might be able to negotiate the best rates for what we’ll be needing over a given period.”

Janet was taken aback.  That’s a lot of extra responsibility – and requires a lot of time.  She frowned.  “I don’t think my group would have enough time to properly handle the contracting in addition to their current responsibilities.”

Mark laughed heartily.  “I wasn’t thinking of loading down your people with the additional work.”

“But, I thought . . .”

“No, no, what I’m talking about is combining the two groups.”

“Oh!”

“I’ve already discussed it with Perkins, the Division Manager.  He agreed that it seems to be a workable plan and I recommended that you be the one to manage the combined group.  There would be a nice raise in it for you and maybe even a promotion on down the line.  What do you say?”

“Well,” Janet said hesitantly, “I don’t quite know what to say.  I’m pleased, of course, and I’m honored by your confidence in me.”

Mark nodded.  “From what I’ve observed in my short time here you’ve earned it.” The waiter brought their lunches and set the plates before them. 

“Thank you,” Janet murmured.

When the waiter had retired to the sidelines, Mark said, “Take a few days to think it over and let me know what you decide.”


That’s when I should have run and hid!  Janet took a sip of her fast-cooling coffee and huddled closer to the vent.  But, as they always say, ‘hindsight is twenty-twenty’.  I was just too ambitious, and look where it got me!


After accepting the position, Janet had spent the next few months getting the new group organized and reviewing all of their existing contracts for improvement opportunities.  As she did the reviews, she marked her calendar with the renewal due dates and made notes on what needed to be done.  She frequently worked long into the evening hours.

She was diligently working thus one evening when the building was deathly quiet.  There was no whirring of office machines, beeping of the automated mail cart or the chattering of co-workers walking along the hallway.  All was silent.

“Janet.”

The voice behind her made her nearly jump out of her chair.  A hand pressed to her fluttering heart, she whirled to see who had startled her.  She saw a grinning Mark lounging against the doorframe.

“Oh!  You scared me!  I didn’t know anyone else was even in the building.”

“Sorry about that!  Look, it’s getting late.  Why don’t you wrap it up here for the evening and join me for a drink?”

Janet glanced at her watch.  “Oh, it is later than I’d thought.”  She smiled up at him.  “In fact a drink sounds pretty good right about now.”  She flexed the tired muscles in her shoulders.

“Good!  So let’s go then!”

“You talked me into it.  Who knows, if you hadn’t come along when you did, I might have still been here in the morning.”

He looked at her in mock horror.  “Don’t tell me we’re going to have to get a cot for your office?”

She laughed.  “Looks like it’s about come to that!”


I was so carefree then, Janet thought nostalgically.  Nothing to worry about but getting the job done. If only I hadn’t gone for that first drink, maybe the rest of it would never have happened.


The hotel bar across the street was cozy and quiet.  A few patrons, apparent business travelers, occupied scattered tables going over paperwork or working on laptops.  Mark guided Janet to a small corner table and they ordered drinks. 

Janet leaned back in her chair and heaved a long sigh.

Mark leaned forward, his elbows resting on the table, and watched her for a long moment.  “So, how’s the new group coming along?”

“Pretty good, I think.  Delong Terminal’s contract is coming up for renewal in a couple of months.  I sat down with George last week and went over some possible opportunities we need to discuss in the renegotiations.”

“Everybody getting along okay together?”

“I think so, I haven’t heard any complaints.”  The waitress brought their drinks and Janet took a slow sip of her margarita.  “Everybody seems to be just . . . going along like they always have.”

“Good.  Glad to hear it.”

In the companionable silence that ensued Janet soon realized just how tired she actually was.  Regardless, she wasn’t too tired to notice the way Mark watched her with those fathomless eyes.

“You know, Janet,” Mark said quietly, “you really are a remarkable woman.”

Janet felt a blush rising in her cheeks.  “Wh . . . What do you mean?”

He shrugged.  “Not every woman has both beauty and brains.”

“I . . . thank you.” She gave a small self-conscious laugh.  “I think.”

“No, I mean it.  I’m surprised some lucky guy hasn’t snapped you up by now.”

She shrugged.  “I don’t have much time for a lot of socializing.”

“Obviously, not with the amount of time you spend at the office.”  He laughed.  “As your boss, though, I’m not complaining.”

Janet finished off her drink.  “I need to be getting home.  It’s getting late and I’ve got another busy day tomorrow.”

“Okay, I won’t keep you.  See you in the morning.”


Sitting alone on the frosty sidewalk, Janet nodded her head firmly.  That first drink was what started it all.  And it progressed from there over the next year or so.  From one drink to regular stops for dinner, followed by actual dates with dinner and dancing. She smiled.  How much fun I had!  I’d never realized how nice it could be to have someone be that attentive and caring.  I should’ve known that it was too good to last!


Mark invited Janet to accompany him to a dinner/reception hosted by the top echelon of management to welcome new members to their team.  It was held at the Lakeshore Resort Clubhouse on a beautiful Saturday evening in mid-June.  Janet had bought a new emerald-green gown that brought out the color of her eyes and set off her auburn hair, and she was anticipating a wonderful evening.

When they entered the clubhouse ballroom Mark steered Janet toward where the Company President presided over the reception line.

As they approached the head officer Mark said, “Mr. James, may I introduce . . .”

“Oh, no introductions needed, Mark,” he interrupted and beamed at Janet while taking her hand in both of his.  “I’ve known Janet for quite some time.  How’ve you been, my dear?”

“Just fine, sir, and you?”

“Oh, good, good, I hope to get a little fishing in while I’m here.”

“I’ve heard the lake is a good place for that.”

“That’s what they tell me.  Now you young people go grab a drink.”  He motioned toward the bar set up at the end of the hall.  “Maybe we’ll get a chance to talk later.”

A few moments later, drinks in hand, Janet and Mark wandered out to the terrace overlooking the lake.

As they approached the balustrade, Mark said, “I didn’t realize you knew Mr. James.”

Janet nodded.  “I’ve met him at some of the shareholder meetings.  He’s a very nice man, not at all stuffy like some in his position.”

For several minutes they stood, silently gazing out over the sparkling water before the soft strains of the small band drew them back inside to the dance floor.

After a scrumptious dinner of steak and lobster, topped off with a slice of delicious cheesecake, Janet and Mark strolled along the edge of the lake in the moonlight.


And fool that I was, I fell in love, Janet thought ruefully, and then she heaved a deep sigh. What I wouldn’t give for just a few bites of that meal right now!


A week later Janet and Mark had gone out to dinner.  As they lingered over coffee, Mark gazed at her with the same inscrutable expression in his eyes.  After several moments, he spoke quietly.

“You know, Janet, I’ve been thinking.  You and I make quite a team; I mean, we work well together.”

“Yes, I suppose we do.”

“What we need to do is support each other.”

“But we’re doing that already.”

“But I mean really support each other.  You could help me make the most of my big projects; and I could see to it that you got all the opportunities and exposure you’d need for advancement.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Sure, we could move right on up the corporate ladder together, side-by-side!  What do you think?”

Janet nodded slowly, “I suppose that might work.”

“Of course it will work!  It’s all a matter of timing.  We just have to make sure that we’re in the right place at the right time.”

Janet shrugged.  “I guess we could give it a try.”


Janet shivered in a chill wind and huddled closer to the building. If only I could have foreseen what was coming, I would have run like hell!


Over the next couple of years the couple traveled parallel career paths, gradually moving in tandem to higher and higher positions.  Mark’s plan seemed to be working very well.

Then Mark was offered a transfer to head another facility a hundred miles away; searches of position availability revealed nothing available for Janet at the same location.

“I’ll be on 24-hour call,” he explained, “so I’ll have no choice but to move there.”

Janet could barely conceal her disappointment.  “So then, I’ll never see you.”

“Nonsense!  You can always come over and spend the weekends.”

Janet shook her head.  “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.  We don’t need to feed the gossip mill any more than we already are by dating and working in the same department.”

He looked thoughtful.  “You’re probably right.”  The silence between them stretched out for what seemed an eternity.  All at once his face brightened.  “We’ll get married!”

Janet was stunned.  That was not exactly the sort of marriage proposal she’d always dreamed of receiving.  But she agreed.

As soon as the marriage license could be obtained, they were married in a small, out-of-the-way chapel with only the minister and his wife in attendance.

Mark sub-let his apartment and moved in with Janet for the week before he was scheduled to report at his new assignment.

The next Friday evening, Janet began leaving directly from the office and driving to the neighboring city and Mark’s waiting arms.  She had never been happier.  She had her work during the week and her new husband on weekends.  The bliss continued for over a year.


Janet learned that Mark had been offered a nice promotion that she knew he wouldn’t refuse.  The problem was that it was in Corporate Headquarters and would require a move halfway across the country. 

She dreaded having to give up a job that she thoroughly enjoyed and take a chance on finding something comparable in the new location.  Of course I do have my years of service as a plus, but . . .  She sadly shook her head at her lack of options.  There was no choice, a wife’s place was with her husband; she must make the sacrifice even if she did have to wait awhile for something to open up.

Janet put in her notice and began to pack up her apartment; the movers would load Mark’s belongings and then stop by her place before making the long haul to their new home.


On the Saturday before they were to leave, they went to dinner at what had become their favorite restaurant.  During dinner, Mark was silent for a long while before he grinned at her.

“Instead of flying, why don’t we have one of the cars shipped and drive the other one.  We’ve got a week so we can take our time and see some of the sights along the way.”

Janet was thrilled with the idea.  “Great!  It’ll be like the honeymoon we never were able to have.”

“Exactly!  When we get there, the Company will put us up in the hotel across the street for a month to give us time to find our own place.  I think we should look for a house, what do you think?”

“That’s a great idea!”  Finally, they would be a real couple; living together in their own home.  Janet could hardly wait.


The cross-country road trip was everything Janet hoped it would be and more.  She and Mark visited parks, toured museums, attended a hoedown in a Frontier Town and acted like teenagers in love.

When they arrived at their destination and Mark reported for his new assignment, Janet immediately began sending out copies of her resume.  While she waited for a response, she shopped on-line real estate sites and, together, they visited choice possibilities in the evenings and on weekends.
Their first month was nearing an end when they finally made a selection and hurried to close the deal.  The house seemed spacious after spending so many years in small apartments; the rooms still echoed even after their furniture had been delivered. 

The day after they moved in, Janet spent most of the day unpacking and arranging the master bath and kitchen.  When she heard Mark’s car pull into the drive, she hurried to meet him, the sound of her heels clicking across the hardwood floor of the living room bouncing around the walls.  By the time, she reached the entryway, she was giggling uncontrollably. 

After meeting Mark with a kiss at the door, she said,  “Listen.”  She walked around the room.  “Hear that echo?  I think we’re going to have to shop for some furniture.”

He grinned and nodded.  “We’re going to need a lot of things – furniture, drapes, you name it.  Look, honey, they’re keeping me awfully busy; why don’t you just go ahead and get whatever we need.  You know more about that sort of thing anyway.”

Janet tried to hide her disappointment.  “Okay, but I just thought it’d be a lot more fun if we did it together.”

“It would, but I’m just not going to have the time right now.”

Janet spent the next several weeks shopping the furniture stores, arranging her purchases and decorating their new home.  As the house shaped up and Janet had fewer demands on her time, her anxiety grew about finding a new job.  She began following up on the resumes she’d submitted when they’d first arrived.

A couple of weeks later, she got a call for her first interview.  Full of excitement about going back to work, she could hardly wait to tell Mark.
When he came home, she met him at the door with a kiss and a glass of champagne.

He gave her a puzzled smile.  “What’s the occasion?”

“We’re celebrating!”

“I got that; but what are we celebrating?”

“Well, first off, I’ve finally got the house in order.”  She swept her arm around to encompass the living room.  After a dramatic pause, she continued, “And . . . I got a call for my first interview today!”

“Oh?”  His smile completely disappeared.  “With whom?”

“Marathon Chemical!  Isn’t it great!  The position is similar to what I was doing, but it sounds as if there’ll be a couple of new challenges along with it!”

“How could you?” His eyes flashed with anger.  “What are you trying to do?  Ruin me?”

Janet was hurt and confused.  She thought he’d be happy for her.  “Ruin you?  Why would you even say a thing like that?”

“Marathon Chemical!  You do realize that they’re our biggest competitor, don’t you?”

“So?  What difference does that make?”

“How would it look?  My wife working for our major competitor!  I’d be laughed out of the office.  You’ll just have to blow off the interview.”

“Mark!  I can’t do that!  I’ve already told them I’d be there.”

His eyes were cold and hard.  “Well, Janet, you’d better come up with something.  I won’t stand for my wife working there!”


Janet sighed.  So, I turned down the Marathon offer; but then it was the same for every interview for which I was called.  There was always some reason why I just couldn’t take that job. And I was naïve enough to actually believe him when he said that it was the best for us!  What a fool I was!


When Mark nixed the sixth straight interview Janet had scheduled, she had had enough. 

“Why shouldn’t I have something interesting to do with my time?  Why should I just sit around the house and twiddle my thumbs while you’re out there facing all the challenges and enjoying every minute of it?  Look around you!  You wanted the house put in order; it is in order – damn good order, even if I do say so myself!  I don’t want to just sit here and rot!”

Mark laughed and pulled her close.  “Honey, if that’s all that’s bothering you, not to worry.  Soon you’ll have more to do than even you can handle.”

She looked up at him, doubt clouding her face.  “What do you mean?”

“Look, in this new position, I’m expected to entertain other members of management, customers, stockholders, you name it.  They’ve gone easy on me so far, but the pressure is starting to build.”

“Entertain how?”

He shrugged, “Oh you know, the usual: cocktail parties; dinners, or maybe I should say banquets, sometimes.  It’ll depend.”

“And how do I fit in to this picture?  By playing the gushing hostess?”

“Janet,” his voice sounded as if he were struggling with his temper.  “Someone has to plan these things.  Make sure the right people are invited and the seating arrangement is advantageous for our purpose; and, of course, there’re always the menus and decorations.  Sounds to me like quite a job.”

“Not quite the same as managing a multi-million-dollar budget.”

He shrugged.  “Well, you’d still have a budget, not a multi-million-dollar one, but a budget nevertheless.”


So I acquiesced, as usual.  Janet brushed a tear away with her sock-gloved hand. And what did it get me?  Within a few months, the gala parties tapered off and Mark began spending more and more ‘time at the office’. Janet smiled bitterly.  Didn’t take too long to find out that his ‘expected’ events were being held in hotel ballrooms with his new assistant serving as hostess. And I was ‘kicked to the curb’ – literally!

Well, I’ll show ‘em!  They can’t keep me down!  I’ll start anywhere; any menial job will do.  I can work my way up; I did it before and I’ll do it again!

Janet struggled to her feet, her chilled joints creaking with the effort. I’ll find a shelter, get a shower, maybe some decent clothes, and I’ll find that job!  All I need is a place to start!

Word Count:  4422
© Copyright 2009 Jaye P. Marshall (jayepmarshall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1514203-City-Streets