*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1538884-Blood-Dawn-Part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1538884
A young woman struggles with a Church that imprisoned her father and magic.
Blood Dawn
Eternal Tempest
Intro
The Priest’s bestial scream actually held a note of triumph in it this time. Oh, well-at least something finally broke the oppressive silence of the room. Unfortunately it also happened to break his intended victim’s concentration. His eyes flew open just in time to catch the glint of the blade as it reached its apex and began to arc, clearly wielded by a supernatural force, downward towards him. Oops. He quickly closed his eyes again and braced himself, but just as he did, the door behind him literally blew open. That was surprising; it was solid iron and had formerly possessed a truly amazing number of gadgets superimposed over it that were meant to ensure that when the door was closed, it stayed closed. However, didn’t need to look to know the two who now stood behind him, weapons in hand and leveled at the Priest. The Priest simply smiled.

One
Tempest Lost
Bright lightning flared overhead, so close it was audible, momentarily illuminating the silhouette of a dark rider before everything faded back into the inky blackness of the night. Thunder split the air with the crack of splintering wood; no doubt some poor tree had fallen victim. The wind was blowing so hard the rain was horizontal. Trees seemed to dance wildly, their limbs thrashing crazily. Suddenly, there was a futile glimpse of light in the distance. The warm light from a solitary kitchen spilled out into the void of the night and struggled fleetingly not to be consumed by it. In an instant, the figure flashed into the light, resolving momentarily into a dark-cloaked, rain-drenched young woman on an equally bedraggled horse before both vanished again just as instantaneously as they had appeared.

Moments later, Kayna Firthen pounded up to the small log house and flung herself effortlessly from the saddle before the mare even had time to stop. She hit the ground at a dead run and she didn’t stop until she hit the door. It was at least still locked, as she’d left it when she’d left the house earlier that afternoon. She tried her key, but the lock didn’t turn. Kayna shook her head. Thanks to a friend who’d tracked her down, she’d been able to prepare for this attempt, and as soon as she’d heard they’d come back, she’d known what to do. She guessed that the two figures she anticipated to be within wouldn’t have prepared for this, however, despite having tried this same trick before. She hadn’t been prepared, that time, and they’d very nearly gotten the house.

This time, Kayna merely smiled ferally and pulled yet another key from her pocket, one she’d had made specially this afternoon to open any door no matter the lock. Sure enough, the door swung open. Just at that moment lightning flashed again, just behind her, momentarily framing her in the doorway. She almost laughed-she couldn’t have asked for better than that entrance. Kayna paused to survey the scene before her a moment before entering to casually hang her sodden cloak on a peg by the door before turning towards the pair seated at her kitchen table.
“I take it I wasn’t expected home this early?” She held up the key, shaking water from her eyes. “After all this time, you two never get any less predictable.” Kayna watched, amused, as her former Guardians finally got their mouths working again. It was Braun-the least intelligent of the pair-who finally got his mouth working first, predictably.
“Hey, Nain, I thought you said her key wouldn’t work!” Braun protested.
Kayna raised an eyebrow mentally. “He”?
Nain glowered at him. Kayna rather thought she’d have been glowering too if she were stuck working with Braun. Nain snapped, “Shut up, Braun!” Predictably, of course. Everything those two did was predictable, and usually so cliché they made Kayna’s head hurt. “Did you two really think I’d change my mind after the last time you tried to take my house from me?”

Nain sneered. “No, we just hoped that you could be convinced to be more reasonable.” Kayna almost groaned.
“You thought you could talk me into giving you the house?” Kayna scrubbed a hand down her face. Maybe they’d finally get it if she spoke their language. “The only thing I’m giving you is three little words-“Go To Hell”. How’s that for reasonable?”
“Oh, no-we’ve only just begun.” Nain turned her apparently perpetual glower on Kayna.
Suddenly, a masculine voice at the door said darkly, “I believe the lady said you’re not invited, Nain.” Kayna shook her head. Of course he’d show up now. Arien strode through the door, one hand on the hilt of his sword. Kayna was unable to suppress a groan-he always thought force was the answer. She had everything in hand! And why was he being just as cliché, coming to her rescue and expecting to play the hero? She didn’t even need rescuing, and she was no bloody damsel in distress! She turned to toss him out by his ear if necessary, but reconsidered when she caught sight of him. How he actually managed to look threatening despite being soaked to the bone, blonde hair in one eye and water dripping off his nose…She mentally gave him credit for that, and decided he might be useful after all if he could pull that off. And keep his mouth shut. His blue eyes bore into Nain’s and Braun’s before he turned to Kayna. “Hi, Kayna, how’s it going?”

Kayna winced. So much for that idea. “Could be better, Arien-could be better. You could not be tracking mud and rain over everything, for a start.”
Nain cut in. “Excuse me, but who the hell are you?”
Kayna mockingly bowed, and gestured to Arien. “Allow me to introduce Arien. Arien, meet Nain and Braun. I assume, Arien, you’ve heard of my two former Estate Guardians of the Church? Don’t expect tea and cakes; these two were just leaving, I believe. “
Again, Nain interrupted. “Actually, I believe we have unfinished business.”
Arien looked at Nain. “Lady, you really need to work on your manners. Didn’t anyone ever tell you it’s not polite to interrupt?” He shook his head.
Glowering first at Arien, then Nain, when Kayna spoke the irritation in her voice was as much for Arien as for Nain. “I’ll tell you once again. Our business here is concluded. “ Her voice turned decidedly patronizing, with a fine edge of sarcasm. “Run along now.”
Nain just smirked. “I don’t need to remind you that with your father in prison owing taxes, this house now belongs to the Church.”

“And yet, you say it anyway. I don’t need to remind you that I am now of age to own this house and take on the responsibilities, and tax time isn’t here yet. If you were so very much within your Churchly rights, you’d now have had to resort to changing locks, now would you? Besides, you’re only a Guardian, you overstep your authority.” By now, Kayna was furious. She crossed her arms in front of her chest-she wasn’t stupid enough to even appear to be seen as assaulting a Guardian of the Church when mere disrespect was technically enough to bring the might of the Church down on her, too. She’d already crossed that line enough, as it was.
“Speaking of, Kayna, I’ll be taking that key from you.” Nain held out her hand and stepped toward Kayna.
Kayna didn’t move, just looked at Nain. Nobody even breathed. The tension grew suffocating, then beyond suffocating. Then, “No,” she said, simply.

The tension snapped, became something else entirely, and everything happened at once. Nain came towards her, Braun right behind her. Thunder shook the very foundations of the house and rattled the windows against the sills. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Kayna warned softly, her voice pitched low, threatening, her hand on her own sword. If Nain took the first blow….Nain took another step, and before she could stop him, Arien swiftly, purposefully moved directly in front of Kayna. He slid his sword out of its scabbard, just an inch, warningly. Everything stopped again. Kayna cursed mentally, closed her eyes, then sighed and began, “Arien…” Arien looked back at her. “They just don’t take hints, do they, Kayna?” Kayna just sighed again. Damn him and his overprotectiveness…still, no point in hurting his pride. ”No, Arien-no, they don’t.”

Nain sneered. “Since when do you need someone else to rescue you, Kayna?”
Kayna stepped easily from behind Arien, her arms flung wide, daring Nain to come at her with that gesture alone. However, Arien stepped up right beside her. “Since I got here, Nain. And if you know what’s good for you, you’ll leave now, or we’ll go the Priest.” Nain didn’t move. Arien walked up to her, and so casually and effortlessly it was insulting, grabbed the collar of Nain’s fine silk tunic and tossed her out the door. Braun rushed Arien, but Arien simply waited…then nimbly sidestepped at the last possible moment. Clumsily, Braun overbalanced, and unable to stop, hit the top step and somersaulted to join Nain with a wet plop, seated ingloriously in the mud and floundering. Arien watched as they gaped at him, gathered what dignity they could and finally got up. Without a word, they were gone. Once they had faded into the blackness, Arien turned back to the house.
Kayna just stood there, staring at him and shaking her head. She opened her mouth, but before she could say anything, Arien cut her off. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Kayna went blank, caught off guard. “Tell you what?”

“That the Church was still such a problem to you.” As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Arien knew they were a mistake. Sure enough, Kayna’s face clouded over and her arms went back over her chest. “Arien, I could handle it. I can handle it, without you.” He looked hurt, and though she’d never admit it, a part of her instantly regretted her word for that alone, even though he’d only made things worse. She stood there, conflicted, watching him and wishing she could take the words back, but not knowing how while he just stared off into the rain, that hurt look on his face. Finally, so quietly she almost didn’t hear him, he asked just one question. “When will you trust me?” Unable to answer that, Kayna merely watched the last of the now-receding storm, floundering now to answer that one question. Finally Arien, without another word, stalked out into the night as he realized he wasn’t going to get an answer from her. The raging tempest slowly settled into a cold, steady rain. Kayna’s breath slowly began to leave little puffs in the air, but Kayna never even noticed. Finally, she turned to close the door, at least-and the mess through the door caught her attention. With a sigh, she went in to start cleaning up the mess the so-called Guardians had made of her home.

The stormy night grew late, and as one by one houses across the little valley went dark as their occupants sought their rest, the chill only deepened. Higher up, on the side of one of the many mountains surrounding the tiny, rain-drenched town, snow drifted down lazily through the thick branches, big wet flakes slowly settling over the still form lying crumpled on the ground, curled against the foot of a huge pine tree as if seeking its dubious protection. It was obvious, however, that it was too late for the pitiful form to seek protection from anything. Unconscious, and oblivious even to the cold, the figure curled, childlike, against the tree was ominously still. Not even a breath broke the new formed coat of snow slowly settling over the figure, falling in complete stillness from the inky blackness above. What remained of any warmth the icy figure once possessed was no longer enough even to melt the snowflakes. Far off in the distance, the sound of harness bells rang, the tiny sound crystalline in the frozen air.
© Copyright 2009 WinterFall (winterfall2881 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1538884-Blood-Dawn-Part-1